Clear all

Jay Turser Guitars?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@savate)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

A place near me is having a big sale on these, but I don't know anything about them.

Are they decent quality for a beginner guitar?

(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

I have one, a Les Paul, it's alright. Doesn't stay in tune that well, but otherwise it's good. If it's good for your budget, you might want to look at buying one and changing the tuners. It's essentially, the same as any other budget copy guitar.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@savate)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Doesn't stay in tune??!? WTH!?!?

What is it with lower end guitars and staying in tune?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

They buy cheap tuners, probably "Kluson/Grover/etc.-licenced" and built in China for 3 bob a dozen.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Now more often then not it will stay in tune, but I have some problems witht the G. It's the only one that goes out often. I'm using 9's though, so that will have something to do with it.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

I can't say I've had a problem with mine going out of tune, and I've got a Hawk 12 (12-string) that I got last summer, via an eBay deal. It's the Transparent Red one, same as the pic here: http://www.jayturser.com/jt_electric4.htm .
Besides the pickup selector, it has an additional three-way toggle. I called the company last year after their email reply suggested calling and talking to their service guy. Even he didn't know what the three positions of that switch are supposed to do. I got some oddball DC resistance readings among the nine possible combinations of switch settings.
Today, I just do that "Mockingbird thing" ("ride with the tide and go with the flow") because it's got tons of tone.
8)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have a Jay Turser Explorer and it stays in tune. I don't think it has yet to slip out of tune for me. Though I go between standard and drop tunings a lot. Only complaint, it's a little trebly. But if you like that bright trebly sound, that won't be a problem. Plus fixing it is a matter of turning a knob on the amp anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I'm under the impression any guitar can be fixed to play like an expensive guitar with 2 exceptions. The wood on the body will never be as good as the expensive one, and usually they have bolt on necks as opposed to set or neck-thru. Although for strats that doesn't matter cause they all have bolt on necks. I just took an $89 dollar dean strat copy ,did a little work on the neck pocket new pickguard and pickups and it is an absolute beauty. Although I was lucky and the tuners are really quite good on it so I didn't have to replace those. But they are easy to replace if you need to.

As for Jay Tursers the ones I played seemed reasonable with potential to be good with a little love.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah, it's a little spoken about secret; a good setup can do wonders! It's like lots of people "must have" this brand or that brand or that type or the other type, while some of the rest of us get a guitar with a good neck, a pretty good body, and tweak it. We'd tweak an expensive name-brand guitar too, but that's the whole point. You get a guitar and make it fit you.

But back to Tursers: I absolutely LOVE my Beatle bass. Had to reheat the solder joints in the control panel because one of the pickups wasn't being selected, but since then, real solid, real fun to play, and with flatwounds, the exact sound I was looking for.

ReplyQuote