Notifications
Clear all

Jet Plane - strumming pattern?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kristinbig)
Topic starter  

i'm an absolute beginner (bought my guitar a week ago) and after learning the strum pattern in david hodge's horse with no name column, i've been applying it to every other song i learn the chords to, since i can't seem to figure out other ones on my own that fit the rhythm of the song (as you can imagine - this doesn't always work).

does anyone know a strum pattern that would fit leaving on a jet plane, or the chorus to friends in low places? i find strumming much harder than learning chords, so help in an easy to pick up david hodge-esque "down up down" format would be much appreciated!!!!

that way i'll at least have 2 strumming patterns, which i can alternate for the new songs i learn :)
thanks!!

(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

I've been playing close to two years, and getting the strumming pattern and rythem right can still be tough, it is getting better though. It's almost like you just have to hear and feel it, that probably dosent help at all.

Work on alternating your down and upstrokes, the upstrokes dont always need to be the entire chord. A lot of times just hitting the bottom two or three strings is all you really need.

I'm attaching a link you may want to check out, it has some good info on different strumming patterns.

Good luck

http://grouptherapy.guernsey.net/strumming.html

ReplyQuote
(@careyr)

Hi kristinbig.

A snippet (6 measures) of Leaving on a Jet Plane is in the Hal Leonard Acoustic Guitar Method. It is listed there as D DU UDU. It sounds good to me. Once you get the hang of it you could try muting the last upstroke and it sounds even better. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of guitar!

Sorry I can't help with Friends in Low Places as I don't know the song that well.

Bob

That almost sounded musical. Thanks Guitar Noise!

ReplyQuote