Clear all

Joining / Starting a band

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just wondered how long all you band members were playing before you joined or started a band? I'm nowhere near good enough yet but it is one of my goals, Is it just like audition where you play some songs? or do you do songs with the band? are you just judged on your playing?? All those sort of things. 8)

A knock back is the beginning of a comeback!!!

(@southpaw_pete)
Eminent Member

Every audition can be different, and will depend entirely on what the band you're trying to join are like. As a general rule, you'll run through some songs with the band (they'll usually let you know before the audition which songs you'll be doing) - that way they can see not only if you're any good at playing, but also whether you "fit" with the makeup of the rest of the band. You'll obviously be judged on your ability to play, but it would be naive to suggest that image won't play a part in the band's decision to "recruit" you. If they're a death metal band and you turn up in a Hawaiian shirt you may struggle to impress!

When you do go for an audition, remember, not all the pressure is on you. You're not going to be looking to join a pro touring band straight away, so its likely whoever you're auditioning for will be as nervous of their performance and material as you are. Go in, have a chat first (preferably on the phone before you even turn up) to see if you even like them, then be yourself, play your best - and then decide if they're good enough to be worthy of your input!!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

southpaw pete is right on the money with that advice. that has been my experiences.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

good comments from southpaw pete

I joined/formed a band as early as possible. the other members were about the same level as me, and we never ended up playing gigs (lol, band egos forced a break up before we got good enough to play anywhere in public, even for free), but the experience was rewarding. I'm not in a band right now, but I ought to be - just got so much other stuff to take care of first, there's no way I could commit fully to a band right now (cop-out excuse duly issued, lol).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

A few years ago when I joined the band I play with -- bunch of us who work together and are friends -- I wasn't good enough either. After a few months of rehearsal I improved a lot. As you play with a band -- formally or informally -- you'll get better. It's an amazing experience. You might start out just by getting together with some others and jamming together.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

A few years ago when I joined the band I play with -- bunch of us who work together and are friends -- I wasn't good enough either. After a few months of rehearsal I improved a lot. As you play with a band -- formally or informally -- you'll get better. It's an amazing experience. You might start out just by getting together with some others and jamming together.

that is so true. when the band starts to work on the dynamics improvement happens. plus, rehearsing many hours a week increases playing time...you are bound to get much better.

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

how long would you say wait till starting or joining a band? 8)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

back in the mid sixties my mates and I started a band a year after we got our guitars.
we got better in rehearsing. we played our jr. high school for the first gig.
looking back on that I should have waited twenty years....but seriously, we were not bad, we played things we could, the crowd danced...so it was great.

the last band I was in ....we formed around a singer looking for players and were gigging three months later.
that was just a few years ago.

don't hold back playing with others. get in there and try. you will learn right off where you want to be and need to be. once the band has a good set list start booking.

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

As to how long, it depends on the band...

I've only been playing for 5 months but I've luckily formed a band with my wife and some equally amateur relatives. We're not ready to be seen in public yet, but it's fun and it's amazing how much more challenging it is when you're playing with people.

I'd find a group of people at about your skill level ASAP. It might not end up being a band that stays together, but it'll be a great learning experience regardless.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I personally think it's good to get in a band as soon as possible. You just learn so much quicker and it's more fun. I started playing when I was 18, my younger brother started playing maybe 2 months later, primarily from listening to me. Then two of my brother's friends got a bass and drums and we started a band. I had been playing maybe 6 months tops. We weren't very good, we started out playing about 4 songs with 3 or 4 chords, easy stuff. But we would play each song for 30 minutes or more, sometimes even an hour! I remember playing the G, Bb, C chord progression at the end of Freebird by Lynyrd Skynyrd for about 30 minutes straight. I didn't have a very good guitar and it took a lot of strength to play those barre chords, my hand felt like it was going to fall off! But that's how we did it, and it was a blast. We stayed together about 6 months and got up to about 12 songs, we even set up in my buddies driveway and played a gig for our neighborhood. Kids around the neighborhood came and listened and we thought we were real Rock Stars!

But that fell apart, we were getting older, joining the service, college, going to work.... We went seperate ways.

Since then I have been in many bands and they have happened different ways. Once I was playing guitar on my porch and a guy walked by and came up and listened. He told me he was in a band and asked if I'd like to jam with them. I did, and stayed in that band a couple of years. We were actually pretty good.

Then that band broke up, but our drummer joined another band and asked me to try out. I ended up in that band for a year or two also.

I ran an Open Mic once and used to meet lots of musicians. A couple of us got together and started a real good band. Then that broke up and the bass player and I started another.

Then that band broke up. :D

That's how it goes really, I think the average lifespan for most bands is about 3 years. If you don't have great success you just want to move on. And bands are like disfunctional families. You get along well with some members, others you don't. And different things come along (mostly girls) that take a player away. That's how it goes.

I joined one band from answering an ad on Harmony Central. They have a musicians search by zip code. I was with that band for 3 years.

Recently I joined a brand new band. I just happened to work with a keyboard player. He knew I played and his band was frustrated with their guitar player as he refused to play clubs. So I tried out and they liked me. We have already played one gig, but we need to put together a little more material to get out and play clubs regular.

Tryouts are all about the same. You go over and meet everybody, usually everybody is nice. If it is an established band they will usually show you their set list. I have been playing so long I usually know quite a few of the songs already. So you just jam it out and see how it sounds.

Sometimes you show the new band a song. I always take along paper and pen and will write out songs for them. In my opinion, this is the very best thing you can do. Bring copies of songs you already know. Have the lyrics all written out with the chord changes above. If all the players have reasonable experience, you can come up with as many as 10 songs in a single practice.

Not being prepared is the worst thing. You meet a bunch of new players and nobody knows the same songs. Nobody has anything written down. So maybe you end up jamming a 3 chord Blues song. It can be fun, but you don't get much accomplished like this. If you want to get a band going quick, then go prepared with songs and lyrics written out for each player. You will be playing well the very first practice.

It's always a little awkward meeting new people, but after you play a few songs you quickly become friends.

Hope this helped

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@mr-blue-eyes)
Trusted Member

I would love to form a band though want I'm currently doing is trying to go to as many gigs as possible and meet new people. Even if they don't play an instrament it's still good to know someone with a simular taste in my to your self.

ReplyQuote
(@markthechuck)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

i want to join a band as soon as i'm compitant enough, i think playing with others will bring me on as loads of people and loads of posts have told me so, i was talking to a fella at work today who's in a band he says he goes to jamming sessions all over where people just get together and Jam all levels all ages, he said even if i played rythem d/e/a blues he'd play over me, i 've only been playing for about 3 1/2 months and can strum a tune together, play a few songs roughly, do you all think i'd be out of my depth? i'd hate to get there and make myself look like a total idiot..and knock my confidence that much i pack it all in.. 8) What'd think?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

i want to join a band as soon as i'm compitant enough, i think playing with others will bring me on as loads of people and loads of posts have told me so, i was talking to a fella at work today who's in a band he says he goes to jamming sessions all over where people just get together and Jam all levels all ages, he said even if i played rythem d/e/a blues he'd play over me, i 've only been playing for about 3 1/2 months and can strum a tune together, play a few songs roughly, do you all think i'd be out of my depth? i'd hate to get there and make myself look like a total idiot..and knock my confidence that much i pack it all in.. 8) What'd think?
by all means...if you know of a place to jam...go!.. I did that years ago. I was definately oput of my class. there were some major players there. the thing about jams is there is room for all abilities. each particpant is respected...or ought to be.
I learned my chops going to jams. where once I was a newbie now I am the top dog. me? imagine. wow, how'd I do that?

so go and jam,. you will learn to think on your feet, you will test your knowledge, you will expand your abilities. etc etc.

the most important thing about a jam is kknowing when not to play. less is more sometimes. giving another space is great. and correct. your arse will be covered , don't worry. go and have fun. the adrenelin is way cool.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I only wish I could start a band, but I hardly know people who would play music of my taste...

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member

Lots of good advice here. Another option if you're just starting out would be just playing with your friends at whatever level you are. If your friends don't play, you can encourage them to start and teach them:) Lot's of people think its cool and would be willing to jam along. Or you could post a little "jam" notice somewhere like a nearby guitar store...just be true about what level you are and I'm sure you'll find some companions to play with. That way you start getting the experience of playing with others and grow in it. You then could eventually start looking for a band,or you guys may click so well that you'll start to develop your own ideas for a band. That's an ideal situation, when friends make music together and then become a band.

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2