Notifications
Clear all

just started

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@awfulshot)
Topic starter  

i receved a acustic-electric guitar for my birthday on the 3rd and ive been playing arround. i have some book from the 80's that teaches strings, sight reading chords and some other stuff

but my fingers are fat and hit other strings when trying to do strings in the middle. i use the tip of my finger, and it hurts. my fingers are red because ive been playing a bit too much. how long do you think untill my fingers are calisty and can take the pain?

-awfulshot

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Welcome to guitarnoise awfulshot, you've come to the right place!

As to your question-

That will depend on how much you practice. Stay focused on getting the tips of your fingers on the strings. When it hurts...STOP! Pick up the guitar tomorrow.

Callouses take there time. They will not develop over night. Take your time and have fun.

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

awful,

have a look on page 2 of this forum for "blistered beginner" thread started by Martha, there's a lot of info on there that will guide you!

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@jetsolo)
Estimable Member

Dont worry...the pain in the fingers is normal. I got over it after a week to two weeks of straight playing. It really does get better overnight while your body heals. Just keep at it :)

Have fun!

Jet.

ReplyQuote
(@david-m1)
Estimable Member

Give it two to three weeks and you should notice your fingertips toughening up, I've read that rubbing alcohol on your fingertips a couple times a day will help, I think it dries them up and speeds up the process.

As your fingertips get tougher you might notice you lose a little sense of touch, I did. But now I dont even notice it.

Have fun with your guitar, what a cool gift, your guitar will become just like a friend... mine did.

ReplyQuote
(@awfulshot)
Topic starter  

sweet, thanks for the replys. i read Martha's post. my fingers stoped hurting the next day and i am back at playing. (untill they hurt again)

-awfulshot

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You'll find plenty of good folks here with great advice from everything from on line to on stage information. Spend sometime checking out the links from the home page there's lessons and advice that will have you playing smooth and efficiently in no time. For questions all you have to do is ask.

As for fingers hurting and becoming calloused it comes with the territory. No pain no gain applies. one day you'll pick your guitar up and everything will sound and play so good you won't want to put it down. Thats when your other half (if you have one) will say, Quote: All you want to do is play that guitar and not spend any time with ME.

Well I say their right, cause its so much fun. Like bending an inverted chord at the 9th fret then sliding down to the A on the 2nd fret and grab a couple note run and then back in the rhythm.

Most of all have Fun

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@awfulshot)
Topic starter  

i guess il continue posting my guitar questions in my post.

so along with the guitarnoise stuff im reading and doing i have a guitar book. here. and it says i shouldent keep my palm of hand on the back, but my thumb. is there any easy trick to correct that other than noticing it and fixing it? i seam to change back to my palm as soon as i stop watching my thumb.

and where is your elbow? directly under the strings or slightly back?

fix everything you see wrong so i dont start off on the wrong foot!

-awfulshot

ReplyQuote
(@arcmage)
Trusted Member

May be just me, but I picked up my guitar and played a few things just to see.
#1 Be comfortable ... but be aware of what could cause problems ( too much strain )
#2 I find my thumb is usually behind my middle finger unless doing an odd bar chord in which I may be holding the guitar like a baseball bat and actually using the thumb to fret 1 or 2 strings..... ( not sure if that is the best technique but it works for me )
#3 I don't think there is "one right way" to position your arm / elbow, but I am surely not at all comfortable with it aligned to the strings so I would say it is definitely angled back a bit when I play

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You've just got to practice a proper fretting hand position by paying attention and fixing it. Using proper fretting technique will help. The reason you put your thumb on the back of the neck is not to use it in fretting. Putting your thumb there encourages a better hand position. All the force for fretting should come from the weight of your arm, with a little help provided, if necessary, by pulling backwards. No thumb squeezing.

My elbow stays about a forearm's length from the strings at all times. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this one. I'll be glad to guess. My elbow moves wherever it needs to to keep my wrist straight. If I don't need much reach, I'll have my elbow back, and my arm will be roughly parallel with the ground (assuming that the rest of me is upright). My thumb will usually rest lightly on top of the neck when I'm in that position. When I need more reach my thumb moves behind the neck as my hand turns to provide that reach, and my elbow moves forward to keep my wrist straight.

Here'sa picture that shows my elbow in the first position. Here's another with the second. They may not be especially clear, but it's the best I could do.

EDIT: I know, I'm not actually showing the elbow. That's because the hand is the important part. When you have that right, the elbow is where it needs to be.

ReplyQuote
(@awfulshot)
Topic starter  

ah sweet thanks you guys for helping me understand!

-awfulshot

ReplyQuote