Close
Skip to content

Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Just starting out?

(@drewski442)
Topic starter  

I'm 38 and just starting to learn how to play the guitar. I have been told alot of differant things on how to start. I just want to know what is the best way. What should i learn first. cords, bar cords or what, any help would be great.

Thanks

Drew

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Find a teacher - this is the best way to go about and it will save you a lot of time and frustration. I started out by floundering around on my own with a Mel Bay book at about the same age as you are now. I ended up becoming frustrated and putting the guitar down for quite a while.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN !

Here is a thread that will answer some of your questions.

Another great lessons series to help you get started is here. Do visit it. You will get all the advice and instructions in the lesson 1.

Good Luck and don't forget to tell us about your progress.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey there, same age as when I started. I'd say that first thing would be chords. About a dozen of the common ones to start. Barre chords can come later.

Teacher? Some went that route. I did for a few lessons on two occasions. Not thrilled. I've pretty much just kept at things myself.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@henrik)
Eminent Member

Find a teacher - this is the best way to go about and it will save you a lot of time and frustration. I started out by floundering around on my own with a Mel Bay book at about the same age as you are now. I ended up becoming frustrated and putting the guitar down for quite a while.

I agree to that, but make sure that the teachers good, when I started out I had a quite bad teacher and it ended up that I quit playing after once semester but then I picked it up again and now I've got this awsome teacher and I'm making a lot of progress.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Finding a teacher's a good idea for most people - it wouldn't hurt to start before you find a teacher, though. Try and learn a few of the easier chords - you'd be amazed how many different songs feature two, three or four chords. Those easy chords will get you playing songs virtually from day one.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote