Clear all

Keep muting #1 e string while practicing chords

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gdub7870)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm brand new to the guitar world. Played saxophone back in high school but I've always wanted to learn electric guitar. I picked a seldom used like new epiphone Les Paul special 2 from a friend for cheap. I really like the guitar's build quality and the few sounds I can make so far(only been a week) and I'm currently practising and memorizing chords. I think I'm going everything right as far as holding the guitar and hand posture but I seem to always mute the high e string for some reason. Btw, the guitar has recently been serviced by a local music shop and set up properly. Suggestions for correcting this habit? Thanks

(@alangreen)

It's a common habit with beginners, who tend to hold the neck far too tightly.

Most important - make sure your fret-hand thumb is behind the neck, not resting on top of it. If your thumb is resting on top of the neck your hand is horribly out of position and your fingers have to come all the way round the neck before starting the job they have to do.

Shove a pencil between your hand and the 1st string, then build that chord again. The increased space between your hand and the neck of the guitar will allow your fingers to come down on the strings vertically like a claw, rather than diagonally like a plane landing at the airport.

And finally, make sure your fingers come across the neck parallel to the frets, not diagonally.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gdub7870)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. Any and all crucial and advice is certainly welcome. Is the Epiphone Les Paul special 2 a good guitar to learn on and good enough that I can use it for quite a while while my guitar skills grow?

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

It's fine - I use an Epiphone LP for my Big Band work.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gdub7870)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thankyou

ReplyQuote