Clear all

Keyboard?

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I know this isn't relevant to guitars, but i thought that you may be able to help me.

I'm going to get the Yamaha PSR 175 for my mum, becaus she want to start learnig the piano. Is this keyboard any good? It's got the "Yamaha Education System" which basically means that it'g got a bunch of lessons on it that help learn chords and some songs.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Mart.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

How much are you looking to spend.

I think that starting around $500 or so you can get weighted hammers.

ReplyQuote
(@yellow_tangerine)
Eminent Member

Hi!

I have the Yamaha PSR 170, got it for about $150 on sale at Best Buy. It has that learning system too, with a TON of songs that show you the fingering and notation on the little screen as it plays. This hasn't helped me much, I learn differently and it gets to complicated for me. But it works for my friend. You never know.

The sounds for piano and electric organ are pretty good, and about ten different varieties, too, and the strings are okay, but I don't think I would use the thing for live playing or recording. But for learning, what you want it for, it's great. Got a chord dictionary which is very helpful.

It does not have weighted keys, but, having switched from piano to keyboard and now play both, it doesn't seem to be that much of an issue, but my fingers may be just condidtioned. Your mother may have a hard time going from this to piano. (But then again, I guess it's like going from electric to acoustic for the first time. It's never easy switching instruments.)

I got the thing to write songs on since my piano is in terrible need of repair (and tuning), also to brush up on my skills. And for that, it works just fine. But it's always nice to splurge on Mom. She deserves it. There are many nicer models out there. :wink:

If you don't know where you're going,
Any road will take you there

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Since she's never played before i don't think it's wise to spend too much on the first keyboard. When she gets better, she'll have a better idea abuot what she needs and will have a better about what she wants to upgrade to.

Obviuosly i'll be learning on it too, and I don't think we'll be playing any major concerts or recording anytime soon :) so that isn't such a big issue.

Any recommendations for instructional material?

Thanks.
Mart.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Try the Casio PX-100, weighted hammer action and under $500.

For learning materials you might try "Creative Keyboard for Adult Beginners" or "How to play the piano despite years of lessons"

Both should be available on Amazon.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I gave my son a PSR175 for Christmas, and he likes it. He's fooled around with our 'real' piano for some time, even taking lessons for a while about ten years ago... but now he's interested in composing, so I thought I'd get him something with synthesized voices.

He actually prefers the Yamaha to the weighted keys. And his favorite feature is the headphone jack - he can play it at any time of day or night without disturbing anyone.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My daughter has the Yamaha PSR295.
It is similar to the 175 just more features.
The 295 lets you upload music into it via a usb connection.
The teach mode is really helpfull.
Can't use it for live performance or recording? Why not?
When we jam she hooks up to a Fender amp and that keboard of hers just plain kicks butt.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm pretty sure the PSR175 can upload too... but through a MIDI cable instead of USB.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote