Clear all

Lead and backround guitar

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@surfbluewavesbc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What is the diffrence between the too? Does one play the melody while the other the chord?

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Yes.. and/or one guitarist plays both Rythm and Lead.

Look at Led Zepplin, Its Jimmy Pagey all the way.
Rush Guitarist and Bass
Green Day
The Who

there are so many bands with just the one Guitarist... even though they may have a stand in to assist.

Then there are just as many bands with both a Rythm and a seperate Lead Guitarist:

AC/DC
The Stones
Beattles
Just to name a few. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You should bear in mind, however, that even bands with a single guitarist -- Zeppelin, the Who, Pink Floyd, Cream -- typically have multiple guitar parts on their songs and overdub those parts in the studio. So those guitarists are typically soloing over rhythm parts they laid down earlier in the studio.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

two guitars...
one typically plays the chords; following along with the bass and drummer.
this creates the rythm section.
the other guitar plays lead passages, often along with the singer. but his main duty is the lick or lead part of a song.

there are many variations on this format.
what is more interesting is the blurring of duties.

some bands have two guitars that double on lead; often harmonizing a lick. cool stuff.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

Then of course there is Spinal Tap. They had 2 lead guitarists, and amps that went to 11 instead of 10. Thats 1 louder.

And of course drummers that spontaniously combust.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Green Day was an example I never liked. Dagwood mentioned having stand in musicians, but Green Day's touring guitarist plays all the solos whenever I've seen them on a tv concert. That stuff kind of bothers me, when the solo kicks in, and theres Billy Joe Armstrong pounding away on the same three chords.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Off He Goes,

I know exactly what your talking about and I agree. I really bothers me that they would have a "Session" artist either ripping the Solos or Grooving the Chord Progression... but they're not 'officially' part of the band.

Hey there's a career I'd want...to play on Chart Topping songs but stay totally incognito and in the shadows... I wouldn't care as long as they paid me my share...LOL

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@surfbluewavesbc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok thanks for the help everyone.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Off He Goes,

I know exactly what your talking about and I agree. I really bothers me that they would have a "Session" artist either ripping the Solos or Grooving the Chord Progression... but they're not 'officially' part of the band.

Hey there's a career I'd want...to play on Chart Topping songs but stay totally incognito and in the shadows... I wouldn't care as long as they paid me my share...LOL

That'd be quite the gig.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

That would depend. Like the song and number of guitarist. I use different ways of doing this, sometimes I use pre-recorded tracks or I have a digital delay set to a long delay, then play the rhythm part then step on the foot switch that puts the rhythm pattern on hold, which allows me to break off into lead, then when I'm ready to come back into the rhythm I step on the controller and start playing the rhythm.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Off He Goes,

That'd be quite the gig.
However most didn't get 'their share' just a standard days session fee

ReplyQuote