Clear all

lead guitar technique...scales?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@henry-the-wasp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been playing rhythm guitar for a while but recently thought about trying lead.However,i have had conflicting information and become very confused so i have a number of questions so i am sorry if this post goes on.........Lets say if i were to use an A minor pentatonic scale on the 5 fret then move it up a step so its now at the 7 fret does it now become a B minor pentatonic and so on just using the same shape? Next question....if previous question is right and i was playing something in the key of A for examle,using the 1,4,5 routine the chords would be..... A,D,E so do i use a progression for lead as in i have to match the A section to an A chord and then the D saction to the D chord,E section to the E chord?.Next question....If i am playing something in A,knowing the other chords are D,E then can i just play lead using an A minor pentatonic scale starting at first position being 5 fret and then use all other positions for the A minor pentatonic allong the neck and just stay in the A minor pentatonic scale at other positions? in other words....Show me a technique to learn lead guitar please. Sorry if this is very confusing,thanks in advance. :D

(@alangreen)

Welcome to the party. We think you'll like it here.

In order:
Lets say if i were to use an A minor pentatonic scale on the 5 fret then move it up a step so its now at the 7 fret does it now become a B minor pentatonic and so on just using the same shape?

Yes
Next question....if previous question is right and i was playing something in the key of A for examle,using the 1,4,5 routine the chords would be..... A,D,E so do i use a progression for lead as in i have to match the A section to an A chord and then the D saction to the D chord,E section to the E chord?

No - some work on phrasing is what you need. You do not need to change position to match the chords.

If i am playing something in A,knowing the other chords are D,E then can i just play lead using an A minor pentatonic scale starting at first position being 5 fret and then use all other positions for the A minor pentatonic allong the neck and just stay in the A minor pentatonic scale at other positions?

Yes, although most of us only use two or three of the five patterns.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@henry-the-wasp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Alan Green........Thank you,sense at last!........any other comments from Alan and anyone else greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Hi henry

Do you have the 5 patterns that Alan mentioned?

ReplyQuote
(@henry-the-wasp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Rocket Dog and thanks for replying.I do have the five positions mentioned but if you would like to post a copy then please feel free,i would greatly appreciate it.The reason why i ask you to do this is i am self taught and have used you tube etc for info but i am finding so many contradictions so there is no guarantee the info on the internet is correct so yours may be of help.

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Henry, if you click on my web site link on the right and go to "free resources" you will find a pdf link that has the 5 patterns in Gm. You can download this for free. There is also a backing track there that is freely available. You can use that to practice the pentatonic scale in Gm.

Hope that helps.

ReplyQuote