Learned a lot

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@the-hass)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice if you can spare the time. I love rock guitar but how do i actually get into doing it? do i practice scales and learn theory? where do i start?

Thing is i been playing a almost a year and learned realy quickly and fairly succesfully, but here is the problem i seem to have fallen into rhythm guitar territory because my friends enjoy listening to me on a friday night and to apease them an myself i continue to learn strumming patterns and have dropped my electric for acoustic. Not that i want to but i don't know where i should start to learn to execute and even come up with those blistering solos, which is the reason why i took up guitar.

Currently i am constantly strumming, don't get me wrong all good acoustic songs to play. Paul Weller, GNR, Bob Marley you know good accoustic songs that sound great on a Friday night drinking session. So what i am basically asking is - were should i start to learn rock guitar?

Thanks for your time,

Much appreciated

The Hass

(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I'm the complete opposite. I play rhythm on either acoustic or electric, and have, at this point in time, no interest in lead or soloing.

That said, start by learning the pentatonic scales, I would guess. With those you can do almost any lead or soloing. In fact, in my limited knowledge, those are exactly what's used. While you may see a lead guitarist soloing all over the fretboard, I'll bet he's within the same pentatonic scale using the different voicings.

Now, if I've gotten all this wrong, I fully expect to be thrashed and chastised within an inch of my life by my betters. :lol:

Nah, it would be more likely a gentle correction from these guys. :wink:

Oh yeah, and there's Rock Guitar For Dummies. Not a bad book. Comes with a cd you can load into iTunes on your computer.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@the-hass)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your input it is much appreciated. Thing is my wife is going to buy me an LP standard PT and i really don't want it to go to waste. I enjoy my friday night sing song with a few mates and a drink but like every budding guitarist i suppose im looking ofr that wow factor.

I already got a Balck beauty custom LP and a 59 Goldtop that are sitting there, but i can't let the new one sit as it's too expensive.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

learn how to move chord shapes up and down the neck. I found many solos based on the chord shape.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Data
(@data)
Eminent Member

earn how to move chord shapes up and down the neck. I found many solos based on the chord shape.

Chord shape???? Isnt all strumming of a string some sort of guitar chord shape? I guess I dont understand this post....please explain learn move chord shapes in beginner uber-rookie so that morons like myself can understand.

Thanks

Jay

Vancouver WA

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

For example, consider the E major chord in the open position. You probably use your index, middle and ring fingers. Right? Try to use the middle, ring and pinky and don't use the index.

Now, move your hand one fret nearest to the hole/pick ups but maintain the fingers in the same position and use your free index to play a barre over the first fret. You are playing the F major chord.

If you move another fret, you will play F# major. One fret more an you will get G major. And so on.

You can start with any initial chord shape and move it along the neck. Each fret will be a half tone in the root note.

Try to learn each note in 6th, 5th and 4th strings and you will be able to play lots of different voices of the same chord. Could you figure how to play the E major chord using the root notes in the 5th and 4th strings? 8)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

This article may help:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/moving-on-up/

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

You seem to be where one of my kids was not too long ago: you've got heaps of accomplishments chaulked up and a desire to get on with rockin...and you KNOW that you are versed well enough to move on...but it ain't really sounding just right.

It's one thing to strum out chords...and quite another to "feel them".

Work on your dynamics. Make "that ubiquitous open E chord" INTERESTING, for instance!!!

Dynamics are EVERYTHING in music...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Dynamics are EVERYTHING in music...

Cat

+1

I often think of it as "touch and timing", but it's the difference between being able to play the notes in the right order and really making them say something. Which, in my opinion, is the biggest difference between just knowing how to play and being worth listening to. Ordinary players just follow what's on the page. The best players all have something to say.

So, I'd say that the place to start is with something really simple. It's more about attitude and approach than complexity or special new knowledge. You can make three chords rock, or you can make five notes howl. But if you can't.... then adding a whole bunch more probably won't help much.

Go forth and rock. Good luck. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

hi mate

if you want to play rock, you could start from a few things

a) rhythm guitar: learn power chords in all their shapes, and learn all the peculiar syncopated rock rhythms. Remember that rock tends to use down-picking a lot instead of alternate picking like in pop music, also chord changes are usually anticipated. Then it is time to start working on dynamics so you have to learn palm-mute and scracth and how to use them in different rhythms. They're two different techniques: the first one means to play with the heel of your hand touching the strings at the bridge, the other one means to play releasing the strings (a lot used also in funk-music);

b) solo guitar: learn all the pentatonics and blues scales first (at least E and A blues scales) and learn techinques like slide, hammer-ons, pull-offs, bendings, vibrato etc.

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The master of "lead/rhythm" is Pete Townshend of the Who. Listen to the way he plays chords and partial chords and how he tarts them up with alternate strums, hammer-ons and pull-offs. He makes rhythm playing sound like lead playing.

Get yourself one of the tabbing programs, like powertab or guitar pro, download some Who tabs and read them as the song is playing.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@the-hass)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Cheers guys as always your help is much appreciated and i think i can move on now. I have a clear vision in my head now.

The Hass

ReplyQuote