Notifications
Clear all

learning multiple songs?

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@eak000)
Topic starter  

I'm still at the stage of big pauses while I get my barre chords situated!

I'm finding that it's a lot harder to move from open to barre chords (and vice versa) than it is to go from barre to barre. I actually tend to "barre" behind the nut when I play open chords, just to keep my fingers honest and not confuse the muscle memory, but sometimes a barre 0 is a real stretch (e.g., G or D). So my preference is to substitute barres for open, and try to play the entire song barred. It does seem to help the transitions, at least for me. (Note that my hand is fairly small, and it seems to "fit" the neck best in the range of frets 5-8, so I usually make an effort to keep my notes and chords in that area).

How did you learn when and how to substitute certain chords for others?

ReplyQuote
(@eak000)
Topic starter  

Let's call the other one "Let's play a few songs, get riotously drunk and have a good time" orchestra - we have just been given the music for next year (starting September) so I have 15 new works to get my head around in just over 10 weeks. This is also 4-part music, but I'm routinely playing Guitar 1 for these guys and it's not always single-line stuff- go to Youtube.com and enter "Boccerini Introduction Fandango"; check out the trio performance, think that I have to play 16th note rasgueados and you'll get an idea of what I have to put up with. We'll get September 2010's music this time next year.

The orchestral work doesn't have to be note perfect, because there is always more than one player on each part (except that Fandango when I'm on my own on Guitar 1). The personal repertoire is the stuff I take onstage as a soloist, and that has to be a lot tighter.
A :-)

Wow, 15 pieces in 10 weeks! Hopefully when I've been playing as long as you have, I'll be able to wrap my brain around that sort of thing. The Boccerini Fandango is beautiful.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2