Clear all

Learning new chords

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I would like to get som inputs on how to learn new chords as affectivly as possible.
Today, if I find a chord in a song thats unfamiliar to me, I just take the surrounding chords in the song and play it over and over until it sticks.

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like a plan.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@apoxx)

I think I went a little over the edge and made myself a chart...

I created ths chart with 3 chords per group and made as many groups as possible...A-G-C/C-D-F/Am-E-D/F-D-G/D-G-A,ect.

What I do is practice 1 group for awhile then move on to others, I has helped me with switching between the chords as smooth as possible. Done hundreds of times over you catch on pretty easily...

It's not as fun as actually playing music but the way I see it is the road to music, I'm to the point where I can stare at the TV and play alot of them but not always...

When I first started I had trouble swittching to a G/D/F without pausing between changes but now I have the G/F down and can hit them with ease.I did not get all crazy and add barre chords or anything to the chart,I wanted master the starter stuff before moving on to the other stuff..

I can play a few songs as well from messing around (smoke on the water is super easy,come as you are,house of the rising sun,bad moon rising,rythem to put your lights on,boom,boom,ect. I'm not great at playing them but getting better)

Just playing them over and over again has helped tons, it's not always the most joful way of learning but it has been effective for me and annoying for others..lol

"GO BIG RED!"

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

A-G-C/C-D-F/Am-E-D/F-D-G/D-G-A

While I commend you on your diligence in practicing, I confess I can't quite see the logic behind your groupings. Why not group them by key:

Key I ii iii IV V vi vii Open chords
-----------------------------------------------------
E E A 2
A A D E(7) 3
D D Em G A(7) 4
C C Dm Em F G(7) Am 6
G G Am Bm C D(7) Em 6
Minor I ii bIII iv V bVI bVII Open chords
Em Em G Am B(7) C D 6
Am Am C Dm E(7) F G 6

For the other keys (and other chords in these keys) you'll require a capo, barre chords or other closed chord shapes.

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@apoxx)

A-G-C/C-D-F/Am-E-D/F-D-G/D-G-A

While I commend you on your diligence in practicing, I confess I can't quite see the logic behind your groupings. Why not group them by key:

Key I ii iii IV V vi vii Open chords
E E A 2
A A D E(7) 3
D D Em G A(7) 4
C C Dm Em F G(7) Am 6
G G Am Bm C D(7) Em 6
Minor I ii bIII iv V bVI bVII Open chords
Em Em G Am B(7) C D 6
Am Am C Dm E(7) F G 6

For the other keys (and other chords in these keys) you'll require a capo, barre chords or other closed chord shapes.
I just did random chord groupings just to limit any complication and to get practice switching between various chords. It was difficult for me to switch from a D to a G and so on so I came up with some simple way to play through them all with out the need of a song with certain chord progressions...

I understand your way but when I came up with my routine I wasnt very far along in my learning process so I would have never come up with that...

"GO BIG RED!"

ReplyQuote
(@cubone)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The problem I have today is mostly getting the chords up to speed. If I play the new chordsequence realy slow its no problem. But as soon as I speed it up I start to miss. Ofcourse I get it after a while but I was wondering if the learningprocess could be made more effective.

English is not my first language so I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

The problem I have today is mostly getting the chords up to speed. If I play the new chordsequence realy slow its no problem. But as soon as I speed it up I start to miss. Ofcourse I get it after a while but I was wondering if the learningprocess could be made more effective.

Sounds like you are doing the right things. Starting slow builds accuracy. Keep playing it slow until that speed is comfortable. Then gradually speed up.

You might think about using a metronome. Start with a slow bpm and when you are comfortable with that speed bring it up 10 bpm. Work until that speed is good and go up another increment and so forth until you feel you are up to speed.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

YEah, no, that's pretty much it I think. Start slow and speed up. My recommendation is that if you have a change that your having trouble with, do the switch very very slow, and concentrate really hard on what your doing, and for me it usually helps my hand understand the change.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

try practicing jazz music. I can almost guarentee that you'll find loads of new chords there.

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote