Clear all

Learning Songs

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I like to learn songs.

But when I want to learn a song, I make sure that there is a technique or something to work on within that song that I want to work on or learn.

I think the last cover I posted was called "Almost Home" which was pretty straight forward strumming, until I got to a certain verse in which I was working on improvising a picking pattern while singing at the same time.

Plus when you learn songs, you can sit around a campfire and sing songs and play and have a good time with friends and family, and maybe they can join in the singing and fun etc.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea I agree with the learning songs. Sure you can learn the techniques independant of learning songs but that gets old quick plus at the end of the day you are going to take those techniques and......play a song so why wait, start right out with a song.

Now if you are going to concentrate on a particular style and that style uses X technique consistently then you may want to augment the songs with focused work on said technique but at the end of the day there isn't anything wrong with learning as much songs as you can.

The other reason to learn as many as possible is to be able to jam with other people. I've had people over the house to jam many times and if you don't know a bunch of songs it ends up just being a I IV V blues fest which is OK for awhile but gets old quick.

And if you work on rearranging the songs to your own style then it makes it difficult to impossible to jump in with a bunch of other people when they play it. In my experience most people (unless there a solo act) know the songs pretty much as the originals were played.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2