Learning the Fretbo...

Notifications
Clear all

Learning the Fretboard?

34 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I posted a question the other day regarding arpeggios. I realized my biggest problem learning arpeggios is that I don't know the fretboard. I remember someone once posted to learn the low E & A strings first and the rest would come easier.

My question is should I learn the #/b's or just the regular notes first? Also, is the best way to learn just picking the note and saying it out loud or are there some tricks to help retention.

Thanks

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Couple of things I can think of.

Learn the dots first. Since you know the E and A string then you also know the High E string. You only need to learn the D G B.

Saying or humming the notes works well either way.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Remember:

EADGBE - open
GCFA#DG - 3rd fret
ADGCEA - 5th fret
BEADF#B - 7th fret
DGCFAD - 10th fret

...and go from there.

You went to college so you should be able to remember the whole fretboad in a day or two. Just remember back when a professor made you memorize 6 chapters worth of charts and you waited until the night before the test to study them. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks guys...

On a side note...when playing E-shaped barre chords the note on the low E is the name of the chord correct? Also when playing A-shaped barre chords the note on the A string is the name of the barre, right?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Exactly, Mike.

I'm in favor of learning the C major notes - all the sharps and flats are in relation to them. If you learn them in open, then 2nd, then 5th, then 7th position you've got the neck covered - they'll start repeating after that.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Exactly, Mike.

I'm in favor of learning the C major notes - all the sharps and flats are in relation to them. If you learn them in open, then 2nd, then 5th, then 7th position you've got the neck covered - they'll start repeating after that.

Thanks Noteboat...refering to C major you mean in the key of C correct? If so how do I know what key I am in? ( I know I should have learned this a LONG time ago! :oops:

Another barre chord question. What about barre chord using the "Am-shape" (E shape moved down one string)...is there a trink to knowing what chord you're playing?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Actually Tom you talk about this starting on page 49 of your book, correct?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Mike, on my web site there is a barre chord chart on the chords page that shows all the common forms and there root note. There is also 2 versions of the fretboard map and a link to a learning tool on the fretboard page.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike, on my web site there is a barre chord chart on the chords page that shows all the common forms and there root note. There is also 2 versions of the fretboard map and a link to a learning tool on the fretboard page.

Thanks Nils...however I forgot how your barre chart works? If I do the A-shaped barre on the first fret is that an A or A#? Etc?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

The A will be on the second fret. Hence open A on the 5th string.

Bish

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm going out on a limb for me here.

If I play a Gmaj barre chord and then move my "E" fingers (all 3) physically down one string, without changing frets, I'll create a minor chord. However, the chord will change to a Cmin. Then if I "A" finger that same barre chord it becomes a Cmaj. Right, oh ones that know this stuff without thinking about it? :)

Bish

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Thanks Nils...however I forgot how your barre chart works? If I do the A-shaped barre on the first fret is that an A or A#? Etc?

Thanks
A# just like in the legend. The open 5th is A so one up (fretting first) is #

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I'm going out on a limb for me here.

If I play a Gmaj barre chord and then move my "E" fingers (all 3) physically down one string, without changing frets, I'll create a minor chord. However, the chord will change to a Cmin. Then if I "A" finger that same barre chord it becomes a Cmaj. Right, oh ones that know this stuff without thinking about it? :)
Correct.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

hey, iam just rookie at this but when i writedown the fret numbers for a new scale i will write the note above it. also sometimes i will use my tuner as iam going up-down the fret board... just my 2cents worth

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

You don't have to know the whole fretboard of by heart. You can work out what the notes are just by knowing a couple of things.

The interval between the notes are like this:
EF G A BC D EF...

It's half a step between the E and F and the B and C and a whole between the others.

The open strings are EBGDAE and each fret is half a step. That means that on the E-strings the first fret is a F, third fret will be a G and the fifth an A.

On the A-string the second fret will be a B and then you can work out the rest. To remember which notes only had the half step interval just think of the E- and B-string.

I hope I didn't make any mistakes in my explanation and hope this helps.

Niklas 8)

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3