Learning the Fretbo...

Notifications
Clear all

Learning the Fretboard?

34 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

You don't have to know the whole fretboard of by heart. You can work out what the notes are just by knowing a couple of things.

The interval between the notes are like this:
EF G A BC D EF...

It's half a step between the E and F and the B and C and a whole between the others.

The open strings are EBGDAE and each fret is half a step. That means that on the E-strings the first fret is a F, third fret will be a G and the fifth an A.

On the A-string the second fret will be a B and then you can work out the rest. To remember which notes only had the half step interval just think of the E- and B-string.

I hope I didn't make any mistakes in my explanation and hope this helps.

Niklas 8)

That is an excellent way of remembering the notes! Thank You!
hey, iam just rookie at this but when i writedown the fret numbers for a new scale i will write the note above it. also sometimes i will use my tuner as iam going up-down the fret board... just my 2cents worth

Thanks Tim..I should do this as well!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Niklas,

Thanks again. I got the whole fretboard (to the 12th fret) memorized in like 5 minutes using your idea! And the #'s/b's automatically fall into place!!

Thanks Again!!

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Yeah I know, it's great!

My guitarteacher taught me that in the second lessons we had.
Now I know why, it's really important to know the fretboard to have any idea about any other theory.

Btw, at the 12:th fret it starts all over again, if you did it right the E-string will be an E at the 12 fret and the A-string an A at the 12 fret.

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yo mike,

What's 2nd string, 8th fret? If your trying to learn arpeggios, it's probably best if you know instantly.

Maybe make some flash cards that says 2nd string, 8th fret and write G on the back. Up to the 12th fret that would be 72 cards. You could memorize them in a day, I'm sure of it. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yo mike,

What's 2nd string, 8th fret? If your trying to learn arpeggios, it's probably best if you know instantly.

Maybe make some flash cards that says 2nd string, 8th fret and write G on the back. Up to the 12th fret that would be 72 cards. You could memorize them in a day, I'm sure of it. 8)

G...already memorized buddy!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I did something just like this when I was working at learning the fretboard (back in the Dark Ages!)

I made a set of 3x5 cards with the letter names. I'd shuffle the deck, turn over a card, and try to find that note on each string as fast as I could... then on to the next card.

Once I had the letter names nailed, I made up cards for the accidental notes. I found that a lot more challenging, as I recall... early on, my mind seemed to process F# differently (and faster) than Gb, etc.

I did it a few minutes a day, and within about 2-3 weeks I could find any note instantly, anywhere on the neck. I can't tell you how much that helped my later studies in complex chords and stuff - that early work still pays dividends today.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I don't think it's wise to use other frets as references. When little kids are learning their time tables it's best for them to remember the answer than use their fingers, right? You don't want them to go 6 X 7 = 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 every time they see 6 X 7. Same way with the fretboard, I think. It's best to know the answer is E immediately, than go "that's a C so this one has to be C C# D D# E.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yeah, I don't think it's wise to use other frets as references. When little kids are learning their time tables it's best for them to remember the answer than use their fingers, right? You don't want them to go 6 X 7 = 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 every time they see 6 X 7. Same way with the fretboard, I think. It's best to know the answer is E immediately, than go "that's a C so this one has to be C C# D D# E.

True but you have to have a starting place. When they first teach kids those math problems you mentioned they tell them to go 6+6+6 etc. It's apoint of reference. The next step is to know the answer without thinking. Foundation first then the house...

Thabnks for the ideas!

ReplyQuote
(@guitarz)

:D You may not think this concept isn't very important, but I bet a lot of you starting guitar players out there can't name all notes on the guitar neck if I called out notes at random. Where's the D sharp on the 3rd string? Quick! Chop-chop! Tick-tock…. Tic-tock…. See what I mean… Believe it or not, learning this simple thing will increase your knowledge, enjoyment & playing immensely.

There are millions of guitar players out there who could play Van Halen solos all day long… However, can't name a note on the fret board. Most guitar players just want to spend their time noodling and trying to play as fast as they can. Don't get me wrong, if that's your gig, then stick with it. I just don't think you'll progress very fast… I did this myself for many years too!

I know, I know… most of you are thinking what's the point? When I play, I want to sound cool by playing flashy licks and riffs. You know, chord shapes and box lead patterns. These techniques are really good to learn but do not help you remember where you're exactly at when it comes to improvising with others during a jam session. These licks won't work when you only know how to play in one position and everyone is modulating to another key. Knowledge of the fret board can take the chains off so that you can learn to free form jam. You know… to do some soul gliding…. Now, that's when all the blood rushes around your head and heart is pounding and you couldn't hit a wrong note if you tried. Learning these notes will help you with chord inversions too.

Now, for the exercise…. Get a diagram of the fretboard with all the notes labeled on each string and fret. Each day for about 15 minutes, pick a string to study. Learn all the notes on that one string for that day. Study each string from first fret to the last fret. From the top string to the bottom string… get some index cards to help you. Make a game of it. Get a chord diagram and make copies and write the note name where the fingerings are. Have a relative or friend help you. Do this daily for two weeks. You will be amazed at all the different things you'll start to see that will help you remember where each note is at. I like to call them little indian tricks. Like this easy one. All the notes on the top low E string are the same as the notes on the bottom high E string. Open your mind.... This will give you a real solid foundation for future endeavors in your guitar playing.

"Sometimes it the easiest and obvious things we over look when learning something new."

Peace,

:roll: Guitarz

Guitarz Forever!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

What about trying "Fretboard Warrior"? You can download it for free and learn the entire fretboard.
http://www.francoisbrisson.com/fretboardwarrior/

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@guitarz)

Thanxs for the link...

Peace

Guitarz

Guitarz Forever!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I find it hard to learn the fretboard myself. I mean if I went an pickup my guitar and play the low E string at the 1st fret, I could say "that's F." based on knowledge of the fret board and be right. Now I go to my electric guitar, play the low E string 1st fret, say "that's F" and be wrong. It's actually C# because the guitar is in drop C.

I mean, if you wanted to learn the fret board, use a game, flash cards or whatever works.........wouldn't you have to do that for every tuning you want to use? Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud.

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Well when in drop C I look at it like my fretboard has been pulled down. Once you learn the board all the way to the 12th fret, alternate tuning are easy to pickup on. I guess I can pictures the notes in my mind on the freatboard and it just comes easy to me.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

absolute fretboard trainer.

http://www.absolutefretboard.com/

it works.

it is free.

you can put it on a disk and even load it onto the pc at work for coffee breaks.

8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Mike, now that you've learned the fretboard, it's now time to learn intervals. :shock:

Interval Trainer For Guitar 1.0

Also, I checked out Absolute Fretboard and it looks like it would work better than Fretboard Warrior. The only problem is that the full version is 50.00 dollars. :shock: :shock: :shock:

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3