Notifications
Clear all

Learning the notes

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@polishdude20)
Topic starter  

so what is a good way for me to memorize the notes on each fret and were they are all through guitar?

(@gothardb)

One of the methods would be learning scales. Well, you could look in my friends blog. At the end of the page there is a link to some website, where you can learn all the notes of the fretboard pretty easy. I'm saying it only because i know how good he's is at playing guitar, and he really knows every fret of the guitar. I have no idea how did he learn it, but probably using this.. thing xD. Once he told me about this website, but.. dunno i think it's too hard for me to learn, because it could take so much time.

Sry for my english, i'm still learning. Nobody's perfect :P (and i'm nobody :D )
I love making solos - http://sologuru.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

When I did it, I made flash cards - there were 21 cards in my set (one for each letter name, one for each letter with a sharp, and one for each with a flat). I'd shuffle my little deck, flip one over, and find that note as quickly as I could on all six strings.

I spent about 15-20 minutes a day at it for about 3 weeks, after which I knew the fretboard notes cold. (Figuring out how to apply that knowledge is still ongoing...)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@whoelse)
Estimable Member

Another tool for learning through repetitive practice is Ricci Adams "Guitar Trainer".

He's also got a "Note Trainer" for learning to read music.

http://www.musictheory.net/index.html

Try it out, it's free and I've found it's helped. I just have to keep using it to try to overcome excessive short-term memory loss. :roll: AGE RELATED, not what you were thinking :evil: ... o.k., well maybe a long time ago... :lol:

Dave "Who" Else

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There's also fretboard warrior - free online tool to teach all the notes.

http://www.francoisbrisson.com/fretboardwarrior/fretboardwarrior.html

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Visualization and memorization.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@gothardb)

Hey, but what if i'm using some other tune, like D standart or C drop. My electric guitar usually is on C drop, but acoustic - standart E . If i'll learn all freatbord on standart E, will it help for playing on C drop or at least D standart?

Sry for my english, i'm still learning. Nobody's perfect :P (and i'm nobody :D )
I love making solos - http://sologuru.wordpress.com/

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

At a rough guess, I'd say that 99% if all fretboard charts cover standard tuning. The methods, to help you make use of the fretboard (Planetalk, Rosetta Stone of guitar, etc.), are based on standard tuning. If you have std tuning down pat, then converting to another tuning is relatively easy - just like learning the major scale gives you the bridge to all the other scales.

You have to start somewhere and std tuning makes the most sense.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It won't hurt.

When you're in D standard, the only reason you'd need to think in D is if you're reading off a chart, or somebody is calling out chord changes. Otherwise you could still think in E standard - the notes will all have the same relationships. (I'll use this trick if a singer wants something transposed and my part is written out - I'll just move my hand and finger it so there are no open strings. So if it's in C, and the singer wants Eb, I move up three frets. As long as I chose C fingerings that don't use open strings (2nd/3rd/5th/7th etc positions) I can just imagine the fretboard is shorter, and play as written.

Drop D is used in a fair amount of classical guitar music, and classical guitarists start reading in it around their third or fourth year. You'll need to move any sixth string note UP two frets, and get used to one more standard notation note (the fourth ledger line under the staff). Whether you read or not, five strings are still in standard... so it's not that much more work to learn the others.

I've seen fretboard charts in other tunings only in books for slide guitar or books on tunings. I keep one slide guitar in open E, but I'm not thinking about note names quite as much, because I use it for playing tunes in just a couple of keys. And since the strings form an open chord, I keep in mind how it's tuned with chord tones (R5R35R). Then if you know your chord spellings, you can figure out what notes are on any fret reasonably quickly.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote