Clear all

Learning those chords!

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@monster)
Topic starter  

Hello again. :D

Although far from perfect when playing, I have been able to memorize three chords (the "easy" G-A-C Major ones). As I continue to practice these and getting my fingers into better shape, it's making me wonder:

Should one of my next steps be to learn more chords or should I learn to switch "cleanly" between the three I know already?

Thoughts?

(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi Monster. You might want to throw a D chord into the practice. That way you can have a G, C and D to play some songs. By playing G, C and D, your mind will come up with a lot of melody's. For me, it was always easier to learn new things when I could put them in perspective. Good luck and keep practicing. In no time you'll have many more chords to have fun with.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

Both - every week I'd probably throw a new chord into the mix as well as keep practicing your "known" chords to get them clean.

Some of the other open chords are pretty simple now that you've got started:

- A minor (just a "C" with one finger difference)
- E major (move the A minor shape up one string)
- E minor (start with E major and leave off one finger)
- D (very different than the ones you know, but as Denny said, it will go well with G and C)

Also I'd work on chord changes: G to C, C to G, G to A...

Once you can change between a couple of chords quickly, start strumming out a song or two - alternate your G and C chords and it will probably sound like a song you know, there are lots. G, C, G, D gives you Brown Eyed Girl, G, D, C gives you Knocking on Heaven's Door, and so on.

Don't get frustrated - I was a month into playing guitar before I could make a clean "C" chord and a month after that before I could change from G to C and back quickly. (It's only been a month since then. I'm a beginner too.)

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

I second what others have said. G, A and C are good, but not enough because they don't form a "full set". For most songs you need the I, IV and V chords (chords are numbered in Roman).

There are 3 primary chords in each major key, the I (one), IV (four) and V (five). The V is very often played as a 7th, denoted V7. There are also 3 secondary chords, the ii, iii and vi (minor). The seventh chord, the vii, is diminished and is best considered a variant of the V7. You won't need it.

There are quite a few songs that only use two chords. If so they're usually the I and V, occasionally the I and ii.

Here are the chords for some common keys.

Key I ii iii IV V vi
--------------------------------------
C C Dm Em F G/G7 Am
G G Am Bm C D/D7 Em
D D Em F#m G A/A7 Bm
A A Bm C#m D E/E7 F#m
E E F#m G#m A B/B7 C#m

Note that all the chords in C are G are available as open chords and the most important ones in D, A and E. Hence these are very popular guitar keys. For other keys you need either movable chord shapes (like barre chords) or a capo, a device that clamps onto the guitar neck and raises the pitch of the strings.

Later on, you will encounter minor keys. Minor keys are a little more complex as they come in several variants.

The most popular minor keys for guitar are A minor (relative of C with the chords Am, C, Dm, Em or E and G) and E minor (relative of G with the chords Em, G, Am, B or B7 and D).

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

This may be my mistake, i know quite a lot of chords but i havent been practacing changing,
The chord changes i have been practacing are:
A - E
E - F#m7
F#m7 - D2
D - Dsus
Dsus - D
D - A
A - G
I have most of them down and im trying to throw the odd C in, i have been trying to throf in the odd F and B so i get a little bit of Bar Chord Practice.

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@monster)
Topic starter  

Great advice, guys, thanks! :) D will be learned next.

Hbriem, that chart is very handy!

ReplyQuote