Clear all

Left hand going Numb

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Somebody posted something similar the other day but my case is different, I've been practicing more than usual lately ( summer time! ) I played like 2 hours on an acoustic, and when got home played like 4 hours on my electric the day before yesterday, and almost like that everyday before yesterday, yesterday my whole hand hurt, and my arm, not like super pain but like a little tingly sensation in my arm that something is wrong.

Sleeping has been hard because my hand gets kinda numb, and I sleep with it very far away from my body so its not that I am sleeping on top of it, and my left hand has been going numb sometimes in the day when I'm not particularly doing anything with it.

O_O help, please doctor!

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Is your pinkie going numb? It goes numb & it aches like you wacked it, up your arm?

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

Pain is the body's way of saying there is something wrong and that it needs to heal. You should probably listen to it.

Take it easy on the practices for a while... let your arm get better and see what happens. You are practicing a heck of a lot... it is probably something you should work up to, rather than jumping from short sessions to marathon 4 hour practices.

Try changing positions. Play standing up if you are practicing sitting down. (or vise versa). Take breaks, shake you arm out and get the blood flowing.

If the pain persists, you may want to see a doctor... or at least look up the symptoms on WebMD... maybe it is a pinched nerve or something.

Just take it easy...

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Yeah, sounds like something is wrong, maybe posture. I'd check it out with an MD.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

There is always the possibility that it has nothing to do with practice or that it is simply exacerbating a condition, which has nothing to do with guitar.

Go and get medical advice.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

swollen tissue pinching nerves gives that sensation.
rest. stretch. sleep with your arms straight.
I go through this all the time now. that stuff helps.

don't over play and watch your playing posture.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks :), thats pretty much what I've been doing, taking it a bit easier with the playing, atleast for now, and taking care I don't do anything too hard for my hand.

Thanks again :)

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Surprised no one's asked a couple of important questions - does this happen when you play all the time or when you're playing sitting or standing? If just when standing, you may be making the common mistake of holding your guitar too low down on your body. When sitting, does your left hand just lie on your left leg and you hold the neck of the guitar as one might hold a television remote? Whether sitting or standing your left hand should be about chest high. So where do you hold the guitar when you're playing?

That being said, the best thing you can do, as has been pointed out, is to see a doctor should this happen again.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I've got a bad habit of sleeping on my left forearm...like you mentioned. I've tried to break this habit for my whole life but my dream state doesn't seem to pay much attention to my waking state. Now...at 58...I'm wondering if I'll ever get that confused with what people say is an indication of an impending heart attack!

Eh...what the heck...Nostrodamus and the Mayas'll git me in any case!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Surprised no one's asked a couple of important questions - does this happen when you play all the time or when you're playing sitting or standing? If just when standing, you may be making the common mistake of holding your guitar too low down on your body. When sitting, does your left hand just lie on your left leg and you hold the neck of the guitar as one might hold a television remote? Whether sitting or standing your left hand should be about chest high. So where do you hold the guitar when you're playing?

That being said, the best thing you can do, as has been pointed out, is to see a doctor should this happen again.

Peace

Haha, I had thought about that but no, when standing I hold my guitar with the headstock at the level of my eyes so I can look at it directly, not the metal position down really low, and when sitting I use the clasical position.

I just needed a bit of rest, I seem to be better now :)

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@shredd-ed)

Hi Coolnama,

A couple of suggestions here for wht they're worth.

It could just be blood draining out of your arm from playing for several hours. Imagine what it would feel like if you held your arm above your head for the same amount of time. Would agree with the others about the importance of posture. It's easy to forget when you're busy playing.

The other suggestion is that you check out "carpal tunnel syndrome". Look it up on Google and take note. It's worth giving yourself a rest to make sure everything is ok.

Good luck,

Ed

Every time I pick up my guitar, 4 hours of my life just disappears.

It's like being abducted by aliens, but in a good way... :o)

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Check out Cubital Tunnel Syndrone while you're at it.

ReplyQuote