Clear all

Left hand mute?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm currently trying to learn this song.

http://www.guitaretab.com/a/audioslave/25985.html

It says left hand mute? I searched google but got back a load of crap any help would be nice!

Besides that any tips to help me play the song better would be great, like finger positions etc! :P

Ta.

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I don't know the song, but from the tab it looks like one of two things. Either:

A) Place your finger on the E string (doesn't matter where) but don't push down hard enough to fret a note, then strike the string; this will result in a 'chunk' sort of sound

or

B) It's a typo and the person meant a right-hand mute (or the person who wrote the tab is a leftie player), in which case, fret the 2nd fret on the E string as normal, and gently lay your right hand accross the strings near the bridge on the body of the guitar, then strike the string/s to produce a muted version of the note (it will sound more like a 'thud' as opposed to a 'chunk' as in A)

Hope that helps

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I don't know the song either but that is an easy left hand mute. Since you are fretting the low E anyway, just take the pressure off your finger to get the chunk sound that Pete mentioned. Keep your finger on the string but don't press hard enough to ring out the tone. As Pete mentioned you can do it anywhere, but keep it simple, just do it in position.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

You can mute it with your thumb here, too.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@wideawake)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Cool ta guys,

Here is the song if your curious... awesome video too :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfMtivHV47A

Riff rock!

You sing in praise of suicide, we know you're useless, like cops at the scene of the crime.

The sky is a landfill.

ReplyQuote