Clear all

Les Paul copy action

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@fishyboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi there. I have an Aria les Paul copy, love the guitar loads, great tone, only problem is, it has quite a high action. I've dropped the bridge as far down as it will go but still the strings are too high off the neck. Is there any other way of getting the strings to sit lower, or shall i take it to a guitar shop?

Thanks people

All the gear, but no idea.
http://www.youtube.com/user/93fishi/videos

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Are the strings too high everywhere?
2nd fret?
12th?
22nd?
How high at each?

How straight is the neck (if you capo at the 1st fret, and the 12th, is there a gap between the strings and frets between the 2 capos?)

The fix could be different for each scenario.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@skarecrow)

perhaps your nut is not cut properly.

The yardstick, as I understand it, is there should be half a string's diameter worth of distance between the wound strings (low E through D) and the first fret, and a full string's diameter distance between the non-wound (G through high E) strings and the first fret.

That is certainly something I'd have a guitar tech/luthier do unless you yourself already have experience with it (Which I doubt likely, or else you wouldn't be asking).

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hey again. Do what you want, but you might consider a truss rod adjustment, tightening, to straigthen the neck, if bowed.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@fishyboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi! Sorry for the late reply guys, I've been away for some time.

Anyway the action becomes unplayably high pretty much from the 7th. It's the same across all strings. As i say I've lowered the bridge as much as possible. I don't really wanna mess with the truss rod as firstly i have no idea how to do it and secondly i heard there's a high chance you'll do something destructive :shock:

I think in this case then my best option would be to take it to a real pro and get it done properly. I presumed there may be something obvious that i had missed :roll:

Cheers guys

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Good luck, please let us know how it works out.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringmadness)
Eminent Member

Nothing beats a good tech. I know enough about adjusting guitar to be dangerous and find that when I take it to my local tech, it comes back better each time. I really think its part science and part art as each guitar is different yet similar enough. Find one in your area, be good to him and your guitars will play like butta all the time.

Check out my guitar blog at http://www.sixstringmadness.com

ReplyQuote
(@fishyboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Forgot to post updates to this thread, sorry :P
I managed to do it myself. I went to a guitar shop, told him the condition it was in and he said either bring it in tomorrow for me to fix it or i'll tell you how to do it now. I just took the neck off since it was a bolt on neck, and put cardboard for it to sit in between the neck and the body. Can't believe I didn't think of this myself -.-
Now the neck lies nice and flat at the correct angle. Looks like it had been modded already, it had been sanded to keep the neck in a position so that the action was high :shock:
Cheers for the advice guys

ReplyQuote