Clear all

Les Paul vs Explorer

18 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, Can somebody explain to me what's the diffrence between a Les Paul and an Explorer than the look ? I am not sure wich to get, both are from the same series:

Les Paul -> http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=42/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/517233/

Explorer ->
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=42/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/517235/

I was going for the explorer at first cause it looks way better, and like everybody has a les paul. But the explorer may have some balance problems and my fall off the strap also wich is the main problem how hard it is to find a bag/case for it...I mean I can get a semi-case bag for 30$ while a case for explorer costs 150$...

Anyway I am probably going for the explorer unless there's actually a diffrence in sound ?
my style is alternative/metal if that matters.

my last topic was full of questions, hopefuly this is my last.

(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Go to a store with a strap and rock out, if theres no problems balancing, and if you like the sound better than the Les Paul, go for it, otherwise, go with the LP. I'm a strat guy, so I can't help you too much.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

buy straplocks whatever you get... I've had the strap on my telecaster slip off, so that can happen with any guitar...

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I don't think the Explorer would have balance problems, but rather it might be awkward to play. Not to mention, it looks like it'd be tricky to play when sitting down. Although I prefer the look of the explorer much more to the les paul, the only thing you can really do is try it out and see.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Maybe its just me (I haven't played one), but it always looked like the pickup switch on Explorers were out of place. They're waaay out there on the lower horn; it looks like that would be a bit of a stretch when in the middle of play.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am ordering online so I can't really try these. I am just wondering about 2 things; Is there a noticeable sound diffrence between lp/explorer and does explorer fit on regular bags/cases ?

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

First of all, there might be a sound difference, but they both have humbuckers, so that kinda means youll be getting the same sound. And im pretty sure, no, the explorer wont fit in most cases, the body shape spreads very far, but I might be wrong. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@taintedreality)
Eminent Member

Man, it all comes to personal taste. The Explorer should have a darker sound.. (but I've never played an Epiphone Explorer). I'm not too sure if I'd go with Epiphone Explorers too. ESP LTD makes some good explorers. For the style of music you describe (same stuff as my band's original stuff), either guitar will be great.

- reality

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

LP has 4 of these tuning things while explorer has 3...I dunno but it's less risky to go for the LP since I am not that much into heavy metal, I just need a heavy tone guitar for hard rock/alternative. Oh well I guess I need to decide between looks or having less case/strap/sitting problems.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Yeah, an LP has separate volume/tone controls for each pickup. I think on explorers they share the volume knob.

And wouldn't Epi/Gibson be putting higher output buckers on an EXP?

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I don't know what are output buckers.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I didn't mean "output" as a pronoun.

What I mean is; an LP and an EXP obviously both have humbuckers in them, but that doesn't mean they have the same kind. I would imagine that the EXP would have hotter pups on it than an LP

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

I didn't mean "output" as a pronoun.

What I mean is; an LP and an EXP obviously both have humbuckers in them, but that doesn't mean they have the same kind. I would imagine that the EXP would have hotter pups on it than an LP
in other words.. the pickups would have a hugher output rate. pups= slang for pickups and 'buckers=slang for humbucking pickups

ReplyQuote
(@ekove)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I don't understand shit but thanks guys. I am still thinking.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I am ordering online so I can't really try these. I am just wondering about 2 things; Is there a noticeable sound diffrence between lp/explorer and does explorer fit on regular bags/cases ?

Why on earth would you buy a guitar without playing it first! Not very smart.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2