Clear all

Licks, Riffs, Bridges Etc.

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@slowhand)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello, im new to playing guitar and i would like to know what the differense is between Licks, Riffs and Bridges is, and what the definition of it is and if there is more to music than those 3 :D In advance thank you

(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Hi there, I'm not exactly an expert myself but I think I can answer this one.

Riffs and Licks are the same thing, a repeating pattern of notes used to add a signature to a song. I dont think I've ever heard a catchy tune without a riff.

A bridge is best described in context: A song is often described in parts like Intro, Verse , Chorus. A bridge is a part of a song that is melodically different and usually leads into the final part of the song (final verse, chorus or outro).

ReplyQuote
(@slowhand)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

yhanks :)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ah, but what about chops and hooks?

8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Ah, but what about chops and hooks?

8)

I'm pretty bad at choppy-riff-hooks, but am working on 'em. I'm getting e-lessons.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

chops is a qualifier, in a way. 'you have great chops, your riff was amazing'.
hook is different. it is also a qualifier...'wow, that song has a great hook'. not necessarily a guitar part. it could be the lyric or song structure itself.
I could be wrong about that one.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@hbriem)
Honorable Member

Riffs and Licks are technically the same thing as Kroikey noted, but I've noticed that in the vernacular they tend to be used for two different things.

Usually Riff seems to be used (more) for patterns that are characteristic of a particular song, like the 'Satisfaction' riff or the 'Hash Pipe' riff.

Lick seems to be used more of patterns that are characteristic of a particular player ('Keith Richards lick') or genre ('blues lick').

--
Helgi Briem
hbriem AT gmail DOT com

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

Ever see the beginning of Seven Samurai or Magnificent Seven where the ronin/gunfighter is chopping firewood to earn his keep. In a time before radio or recordings a traveling musician's tool, his "axe" was used to earn his keep.

A entire catelog of slang sprung up from calling your instrument or working tool an "axe". Going to the "woodshed" to work out. Developing "chops" or skills.

ReplyQuote