Notifications
Clear all

looking for a good beginner amp

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@clefairy)
Topic starter  

hey all - i'm new to these forums, so here goes nothin...i took some basic guitar lessons prolly 5 or 6 years ago, but never practiced that much or got that "good." after years of not touching the guitar i decided to try my hand at it again (my boyfriend's 3 roommates all play so i'm trying to get them to teach me, lol) in just a few weeks i feel like i've made a lot of progress - my friends taught me some simple little riffs/chord progressions already and i'm trying to learn some songs with chords so i can sing along (working on wish you were here, and it doesn't sound horrible! yes!)

anyway, i've got an acoustic/electric that i've been practicing on (an ovation, i believe). now i want to get an electric guitar if i actually stick with it, but in the meantime i was thinking about getting an amp - i could practice with the guitar i have now, and i'll really need one if i do end up getting an electric down the road. so i was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for an amp that would sound good with my acoustic but that i could also use if/when i get an electric guitar. i started lookin at amps in my friends' guitar magazines and i'm a little overwhelmed!

wow, sorry this post ended up being so wordy! i tend to be longwinded when i'm excited. :D

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

clefairy

Hi, and Welcome to GuitarNoise.

Wow, that's kind of a tough question. Acoustic amps are designed to produce a very clean undistorted signal, where electric guitar amps are designed to distort a little, even on a clean setting.

I also don't know your budget. But if I had to make a suggestion, I would say go with Roland. They are known for making amps with an excellent clean channel. So this might work with both electric/acoustic and electric guitars. Others may have better suggestions.

Roland Cube 15

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ccwilliams)

I'll second the Roland Cube 15.

I was in the same situation, had been playing acoustic for 18 months, and wanted to try out an electric. Got myself a 2nd hand Yamaha Pacifica 112, and a Roland Cube 15.

This little amp rocks, sounds great clean, even sounds ok with the acoustic plugged into it. And it has a number of distortion settings with adjustable gain so you don't have to worry about getting any pedals for a while.

ReplyQuote
(@clefairy)
Topic starter  

Wow, thanks guys! I read the info and product reviews for the Roland Cube 15, and it sounds perfect for me. I was expecting to have to pay more for an amp that doesn't suck, so I guess that extra cash can go towards the "buy me a badass guitar" fund, awesome!

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I got it's baby brother, the MicroCube, and I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending it. It doesn't have a footswitch or a 3-band EQ or 15 Watts, but it does have 7 different amp models and 7 effects and is loud enough for most non-band situations.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with a Roland.

ReplyQuote