Looking for advise

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

hey everyone

A little back ground first ,I'm 41 bought first guitar late November last year I know all my open chords and I'm changing from chord to chord better and better , even know B and F , thanks to Wes .

Trying to play a couple of songs , ( not very well ) but when should I get lessons ?

I feel I'm getting stale , I spend 2 hours with my new friend every night practicing doin finger exercises like up and down the fret board then having open A chord as my home and practicing my chords .

I've heard about different scales but don't know exactly where my fat little fingers are suppose to go ( I really would love to play the blues one day )

but anyways , i have been offered lessons by a guitar player who is brilliant ( well I have watched him ) and man can he make his axe cry awesome he is .
but I feel I don't want to waste his time on an old bloke like me , am I being stupid ? should I just take up his offer ? or should I just keep going with waht I'm learning in this forum ?

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

am I being stupid ?

Yes.
should I just take up his offer ?

Yes
or should I just keep going with waht I'm learning in this forum ?

Yes.

8)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So Greybeard

your saying take up the offer and keep coming to this forum and getting great advise as well ?

o k sounds kool

I'm sure to keep my new years resolution come 2006 and be able to play at least one blues song for my grandson
( he 's one )

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Hilch

Remember one thing my freind.

YOUR GUITAR PLAYING BUDDY WASN'T BORN WITH A GUITAR IN HIS HAND!

In other words, he's been exactly where you are. He will know 100% what its like to feel like you feel.

So if he's offered you advice and help, buy him a crate of beer, go play together.

But yes, keep dropping in here too!

Never ever turn down the chance to play with someone better than you, there is always something you'll learn.

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

thanks Matt

just that I feel I might be too old and may not be able to keep up with it all , I suppose it security thing I suppose

thanks

8)

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Hilch

Don't be daft man, I am 38 and compared to some on here I am a spring chicken. There's plenty of guys on here (sorry, and gals!) that have taken it up in their 40's.

Just think you have an extra, what, 20 - 30 years of musical experience (LISTENING!) to draw from. And probably a calmer and more disciplined approach to learning that you would have had in your teenage years.

Really, this is true - you are never too old to learn this great instrument.

Hang in there, if necessary talk this through with your buddy and explain how you feel, ask him to show you 2 - 3 achievable things a week that you can go away and work on. Even if its playing a simple chord progression while he solo's over it, he will enjoy the chance to solo over something, you will learna lot about timing and playing with someone else.

Most of all fella, enjoy it ! Its not torture!

All the best

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

hilch,

Too old?

Sorry, mate, but you've a few years to go before you qualify as a member of the GN Old Fart's Club. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matt's given you some good advice - make the most of the opportunity (both to learn from your friend and to learn from GN) and whatever you do, don't drink all the beer - leave some for those of us that do qualify as Old Farts (me, in particular). :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

hilch great news man--ok guy's i have another stupid question when ya'll talk open chords what are you meaning ? the major ones? ADCBFG... :oops: THANKS tim

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

hilch great news man--ok guy's i have another stupid question when ya'll talk open chords what are you meaning ? the major ones? ADCBFG... :oops: THANKS tim

open chords are chords that are played up by the nut and involve open strings. They can be major, minor or other varieties. Generally one thinks of open chords as opposed to barre chords, which involve fretting five to six strings, or power chords. The first chords one typically learns are the open chord voicings.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

Man I wish I could find some one to teach me how to play, but anyway check out this scale:

---------------------5-8-8-5-----------------
-----------------5-8---------8-5-------------
--------------5-7----------------7-5---------
----------5-7------------------------7-5-----
------5-8--------------------------------5-8-

Forgot the name but it's sweat to practice pull's and hammer's on it.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Man, if you think you're picking it up at an old age, you've got it backwards. You're never too old to pick up guitar - I feel like a geezer when I talk to some of my friends who started playing when they were 10 and 11, and here I am, on the verge of 20, just starting to get into the theory end of it.

However, I'm going to make enough progress in the next few years to make sure that I am a competent player, and I've got enough of that youthful spark in me (along with the fact that I want to make a career out of it, or at least in the industry) to do it.

I guarantee that by your grandson's next birthday you'll be able to play at least 2 whole blues songs and a bunch of nice old rock classics very well. So get that teacher and get goin' with the guitar!

-Rodya

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

musen..... thanks for the info guess thats what i been learning ..can't wait for that lesson

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote