Notifications
Clear all

Looking for songs with chords and notes

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@zedra)
Topic starter  

Hi! I'm a beginner with about 8 lessons behind me, and I'm looking for printed music that shows both the chords to play and the notes in between. It's surprisingly hard to find - there's either sheet music with just notes and no chords, or chords with no notes. My instructor worked out the notes in between the chords on a one piece for me, but there are only so many weeks I can play the same song - I need something new! So, where can I find these songs? Or at least, what is this type of sheet music called, so I can go to a music store and ask for it? Can I find it somewhere online?
Thanks

(@alangreen)

At this early stage, check out the new syllabus from Trinity College London, the "Trinity Rock and Pop Exams." The first three books for guitar came out two weeks ago, and there's a mix of chord and single note work to get to grips with. My students have responded well to the material.

Songs include: Black Betty (Leadbelly), I Walk the Line (Johnny Cash), I Love rock & Roll (Joan Jett), and Pretty Vacant (Sex Pistols). Well worth checking out and you dont have to take the exams.

Alternative: Registry of Guitar Tutors/ London College of Music Rock Guitar Playing. Not so much the Grade books, but the bookswith the songs in them. Graded Guitar Songs comes in in two volumes, one for beginners (up to Grade 3) and one for Intermediates which covers Grades 4 and 5. Songs in the Beginner book include Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana), Sunshine of your Love (Cream) and Pinball Wizard. These two books are published by Hal Leonard.

Both exam boards use versions that are playable by students with developing skillsets. the songs are cut down so you get some verse and chorus work, some single note stuff and some chords, and "All Right Now" from the RGT Book even has a cut down version of the famous solo.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@zedra)
Topic starter  

This is really helpful - thanks! It may take a while before I can get this book, though - I'm in the U.S., and it's not available from any domestic sellers. I can order it from the U.K., but the shipping fee costs as much as the book. I'll keep an eye on Amazon - I have a feeling the problem is simply that the book is so new - and in the meantime, do you know of any online sources where I could pay to download this type of sheet music until the book becomes available?

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Zedra you should be able to get the Hal Leonard books in the U.S. They are really good and I think they are what you are after.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

www.trinityrock.com - apparently you can get sheet music on download. I've not tried it myself

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@imalone)
Reputable Member

http://www.trinityrock.com - apparently you can get sheet music on download. I've not tried it myself
Just tried it, fairly straightforward, you'll need to create an account and enter the normal billing details when paying. For 2468 Motorway you get a seven day download window for:
1. A tuning track
2. MP3 demo of the song
3. MP3 backing track - percussion and vocals
4. Access to print the music (notation+tab) and brief performance tips from a flash applet.
-Just done it all through Linux, only hiccough is needing a default printer set for printing from flash to work (the paradox is if you only have one printer it may not be set as default, this can be fixed).
Edit: The only black mark I'd give them is they email you your password when you sign up, bad practice for an online shop, so use a disposable one.

Thanks for the tip on the RGT Hal Leonard books, might hunt those down.

ReplyQuote