Notifications
Clear all

Low E String Noise

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@seano)
Topic starter  

Im a beginner (just a few weeks into my learning) and I have a Dean TS2 acoustic guitar. When I play my low e string I get a whistle / ringing sound that follows the note and persists for some time. This occurs whether I play the string open or not, but is particularly noticeable when I play the string on the second fret (Ive even placed the guitar on my lap and pressed down on the second fret pretty hard to see if it's just fret noise, but no matter how hard or soft I press the string, the noise is present). I've read some similar posts that indicate this might be normal if the noise is coming from the area above the nut, but in my case the noise appears to be coming from the bridge area.

Im expecting that this is something I am going to need to have a tech take a look at, but before I spend the time and money, any thoughts or suggestions on what might be happening, or what I might be doing wrong (assuming the guitar is fine).

Thanks,

Sean

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

May be the same thing as the ringing above the nut, but coming from the string segment below the bridge. Have you tried touching that to damp the vibrations?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@seano)
Topic starter  

Yes, I have tried posting my little finger just behind the bridge and the sound is lower, but still there. If I strum the string and then touch behind or on top of the bridge, the sound is dampened, but still there.

ReplyQuote