Clear all

Major cracking. correct guitar form.

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@welchsboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I don't know whether or not this is because I'm still new at guitar playing, or if it's bad form, but after playing for an hour or two, I rarely ever feel any pain, but I'll take a "stretch" break, and when I extend and rotate my left arm, it sounds like I'd just cracked and shuffled around every single bone in my left arm. It's slightly unsettling while it's happening, but it'll feel REALLY good afterwards...perhaps I'm playing too down low because I'm trying to look at my fretting hand? I don't know if this happens to anyone else, I've always been one of those guys who could never get his bones to crack, until now :/

Just FYI, I play an electric with the guitar situated on my right leg, and the neck parallel to the floor, and while playing I will bend the neck up at a slight angle towards the direction of my head. I also rotate my waist slightly to the right because otherwise it's harder to support the slightly raised angle.

Erm I should probably provide a picture but I don't have the camera with me :/

(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I've seen a heck of a lot of different opinions on posture. Many classical guys are really fussy about it, whilst some rockers don't seem to care less.

I think that a certain amount of creaking and groaning from the body is inevitable when you do something physically demanding in a new way. So the main thing is not to overdo things while your body gets used to it.

Despite what the "correct posture" rules may tell you, it's pretty hard to get it right from the word go. As a beginner it's very difficult not to tilt the guitar so that you can see what's happening with your fingers. I've seen advice about always keeping it straight up and down and so on - even to the extent of watching yourself in a mirror and so on. But to be realistic you are going to hold it 'wrong' some of the time when you start. So I guess, just not doing too much at one sitting is good.

Here's some posture pics from Jamie Andreas' site

Click for posture pics

Classical sites might have more info.

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@welchsboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Haha well I just wanna comment on how good that site was that you linked, at first I only went there to check out the posture pics, but that site's helped develop my bends and vibrato more than anything I've tried so far, I never thought about needing to use 2 left hand positions...

I've been trying to do bends with my thumb behind the guitar in classical position the whole time, and after I tried the stuff on that site the sounds I got from my guitar sounded freakin' amazing compared to what I was doing before...o.o Only bad thing is that my fingers are feeling a whole new world of hurt now....

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@welchsboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

yeah I usually sit on my bed or straight up on a folding chair...sometimes try standing up but I have a really uncomfortable and cheap kiddy strap so I don't do it often....

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member

yeah I usually sit on my bed or straight up on a folding chair...sometimes try standing up but I have a really uncomfortable and cheap kiddy strap so I don't do it often....

I read somewhere that it's not good to practice sitting on your bed. I can't seem to figure out why though! Maybe because it's soft and it's better to sit on something more solid?

I used to practice on my bed but then, I changed rooms for some reason and I now practice on a kitchen chair. As a result, my back pains (I'm 16 and my back hurts more than an old lady's, I'm sure!!!) have lessened a lot. Maybe beds cause back pains. :?

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when I sit I tend to concentrate more. that's when I tense up/ holding tension for awhile has aching effects.
sometimes the body simply has to groan like a ghost or creak like a floor.
it is just relieving stress.
if your problem worsens then Id see a doctor.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote