Clear all

major/minor scale uses

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

hello. up until very recently i have been just a pentatonic guitar player - i was advised to learn it when i first started and always knew one day when i was comfortable with it i would want to expand into other scales.

Q1 - is there a thread here where i can place small clips of my playing for feedback on my use of the pentatonic scale????

Anyway, i have been following justin sandercoes lessons on the major scale and i now know the scale over the whole neck and am improving my picking, legato and tapping of that scale, however:

Q2 - when i improvise, or try to write something new i tend to miss out on the "extra" notes provided by the major scale, or use them very briefly only as passing notes - in short i revert back to pentatonic because i have lots of pentatonic licks in my head. where can i find licks to learn that are major or minor scale (not pentatonic) based - so i can devlope my playing??

it just seems at the minute that i know the scale, but feel a million miles away from applying it. - obviously i will keep trying to come up with my own licks while practicing, but a few for a starter would be a great help.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Is it an audio or video clip?
Doesn't make a difference anyway, the most appropriate place would probably be the Hear Here board.
(One of the boards further on down the list of boards)
Just jot a note like you did above explaining what you want.
I don't know anything . . . literally.
But it sounds like something Ignar could answer.
He's always talking pentatonic.

To me pentatonic sounds like a vitamin elixer.
I haven't gotten that far in my DVD lessons yet.
(Keep getting distracted by other things.)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote