Skip to content
Making a solo (and ...

Notifications
Clear all

Making a solo (and finding the key) for a song.

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@geek-in-the-pink)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys!

I learned a song by a local band over the weekend, and the chords through the song are: C B-minor D G F-sharp-minor. So I was wondering what the key of the song is, and what the progression is? Also, the solo of the song is way to hard for me, so I want to try to take a stab at making one by my self. Do I make it according to the key and proggresion of the song, or something else??
Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

-Alex

(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Seems to be in the key of C major. Or it could be one of those that has no discernable key. Using the main musical theme, you simply play in the scale of the corresponding key. So, try soloing with the C major scale and make sure to land on the corresponding notes of the chord changes. In other words, if the D chord is coming up, you want to try to land on a D and so forth.

In this particular case, the progression doesnt really matter. Just learn the chord changes and solo with the C major scale.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Sounds like the key of G to me (or E minor, the relative minor key to G). That's G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em and F#dim (minor is often substituted for diminished) for the basic chords. Have a look at my key chord tool, it's good for this sort of thing.

Do you know pentatonic scales? If you do, G major pentatonic or E minor pentatonic should do you nicely to start with. Plenty more to play with obviously, but you probably want to get stuck into the creative bit ASAP, and pentatonics have plenty of scope. If you don't, have a little play aorund with this :)

(I keep plugging these tools recently, but I really am only mentioning them when I think they're appropriate and helpful, honest!)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Seems to be in the key of C major.There's an F#m in there, VM.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Seems to be in the key of C major.There's an F#m in there, VM.

True. Thanks for correcting me. I thought about that but decided not to edit the post. And, those tools are pretty helpfull.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote