Clear all

MIDI Question

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I know this is not a Keyboard Controller forum, but perhaps someone might know this answer. This is all part of setting up a small 'newbie' home studio for the fun (and learning potential) of it.

I have an Evolution MK-406C midi keyboard controller. I have it hooked up correctly by USB, and it uses the midi stuff in my Creative Soundcard as required, and I get no latency (delayed sound when playing the keys).

However, when I press a key on the keyboard, the volume is very low and I have to turn the speakers way up on the computer (which then is an issue from any other music, etc. coming from the computer). Anyone know how I can actually turn the volume up so that when I use the keyboard it will be similar volume to everything else played the compuer?

As a sidenote, what I am trying to do is simply use this keyboard to replace a regular piano (for practice, etc.).

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Assuming you are not using a plug-in you are using the standard Microsoft MIDI playback to turn the MIDI commands you send into actual sound. Go to start->all programs->accesories->entertainment->volume control and raise the MIDI slider. Alternatively you can get yourself a sequencer and some VST plugs and set the volume from either the plug's volume setting or the sequencer's mixer.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Just a thought in case you don't know (ignore me if I'm teaching you to suck eggs :wink:), the MIDI slider doesn't show in the play control window by default.

If you have a little speaker icon in the systray (the bottom right area where the clock is), you can double-click that to bring up all your sliders (single-click just brings up volume). If MIDI is not in there, go to 'options' in the menu, then 'properties' and you get a checkbox list. MIDI will be in there, and you just check the box to add it to the sliders that show up.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. I had to re-install all the software that came with the Keyboard (since I had added the Sound Card), and evidently that set things correctly.

ReplyQuote