Mixing Major and Minor Pentatonic

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

I had read somewhere that if a song is in a minor key, we can use minor as well as a major penta scale over it.
Here is my question:

I am playing a song that's in the key of Cmin.

The Cm penta scale has the following notes.
C, Eb, F, G, A#

A Cmajor penta, (relative major of Amin), has the following notes.
C, D, E, G, A

Finally, a Cminor chord has the following notes.
C, Eb, G

I see that the "D" note wouldn't sound good against the Cm chord.
Also, Eb doesn't exist and A exists (rather than A#) in the major penta scale, so should I

1. Completely avoid the D, EB and A notes while using the major scale?
2. Avoid D. Play Eb and A but dont sustain it?
3. Avoid D. Give Eb and A the Jimi treatment; play it, if it sounds bad, bend it half step to E and A#?

Also, whats the theory behind why certain notes sound good when played against certain another?

Thx for your inputs.
Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

I believe you're thinking about if a song is in a major key you can mix the major and minor pentatonics. That's done a lot. If the song is in a minor key, this doesn't work so well.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It's really the other way around - if a song is in a major key, you can use the major or minor pentatonic... but if it's in a minor key, the major doesn't work so well. Putting a b3 in a scale against a 3 in a chord makes it sound 'bluesy', but putting a 3 in a scale against a b3 in a chord tends to sound wrong.

But that's just using pentatonic scales, and there are 7 other notes. So... on to the specifics.

There's nothing wrong with using D in a C minor scale. It's part of every minor scale type - natural, harmonic, melodic, dorian. It'll sound ok against the Cm, because it'll make a Cm(add9) against it.

There's not much wrong with A either. In the C natural minor scale, A is flat... but in the melodic minor or Dorian it's natural. Since there's no A in a Cm chord, you'll get a 'jazzy' effect using it - jazz often uses these scales over minor chords.

So I'd narrow strategy #1 and just avoid the E note.

Nothing wrong with strategy #2 either, although you'll probably want to expand your tones a bit. Play the E, but pull it off to an Eb. The D and A will still sound fine.

Strategy #3 will work too... but technically you'll be bending the A up to Bb rather than A# (Cm is a flat key, relative to Eb)

As to why certain notes sound good... well, part of it is cultural experience. We're used to hearing certain sounds, so the familiar tends to sound better than the unfamiliar. Some folks will tell you it's about frequency consonance - that 'good' notes like ratio like 3:2 (perfect fifth) or 4:3 (perfect fourth), so the vibrations are a near match, while 'bad' notes like a minor ninth have strange relationships like 31:15. There's a grain of truth to that, but the fact is ALL our notes are 'out of tune' except the octave - so it's more true in theory than practice.

Pythagoran theory says if A is 440, E will be 660 - a 3:2 ratio. In reality, we put E at 659.25, a hair flat. The major second should be 9:8, so that's B495; we play B493.88. Some intervals are off more than others, but none are dead on, and they haven't been for a long time - I think it's mostly the fact that 'good' sounds are simply ingrained in us by experience.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, makes a lot of sense.

Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote