Clear all

More Chords

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok Know my open chords my bar chords (A & E) and power chords, I know there are more "types" of chords and thats what I am here to ask.

What are some more types of chords.
I wanna learn something new, for example
Ive used this chord before (assuming I wrote it down right) but i dono what it is. What type of chord is this? and what are some more like this?

Hope someone understand me

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Chord types are determined from the note names. It's not very hard to do - but you'll need to know your major scales.

Every chord is named from the major scale of the root note - always the major scale, even for minor chords (there's a technical reason for that that I won't bore you with). Then we number the tones for scale position.

Assuming your diagram has the first string on top, you have notes E, D, G, F#, B.

Next you have to find out which note is the root - it's not always the lowest note. You're looking for a string of letter names with one letter 'gaps' between them. You have those gaps at E-(f)-G-(a)-B-(c)-D-(e)-F#. That's perfect - the simplest names will use all the tones gapped just like that - and E will be your root.

Now you write out the E major scale:

E-F#-G#-A-B-C#-D#-E

And you figure out the numbers of your chord tones against that scale:

E=1, G=b3, B=5, D=b7, F#=9

Now look at the notes that aren't 'in key' with the root. You've got b3 and b7.

The b3 means it's a minor chord type - you get minor chords by lowering the third of a major chord. The b7 means it's a dominant chord type - you get a dominant (like G7) by lowering a major 7th type.

So your chord is Em9 - any chord that ends in a number other than 6 or 6/9 implies a b7 in the formula.

If your 7th had been natural, it would be an Em/maj9.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@jimh2)
Estimable Member

Rocket science just may be easier.

Music is the universal language, love is the key.

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

Take the "C" shape up the neck as a bar chord! If you look closely at the "D" granny chord it is also the C shape but most people don't reach up to the D note on the A string or bar it. The C shape, and the scales under and around it, it my favorite chord to play lead off of up the neck. Hendrix played off this chord alot (I'm no Jimi). I often play the chord with a "mini" bar whereby I bar the High E, B and G with my index finger and use my middle finger to depress the B strin the next fret up. This method frees up the ring and pinky to noodle around the scale and nail chord notes on the D,A, and even the low E. Check it out :)

PK

PS
One of my early teachers taught me the C A G E method where all those granny shapes move up the neck as bar chords. I've never found much use for the "G" shape but C A and E are valuable to my aresenal of licks.

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ahh, wasnt expecting such an indepth reply, thanks, that actualy makes sense to me after Ive read it over 20 times :wink: .

But now I ask what the next step is, like I said I hear ppl say learn your bar chords, power chords, open chords, etc...but you dont hear them say learn your Em/maj9's You know what I mean? I know eventualy you should learn every inch of the fretboard and what assembles each chord you play but I was just curious if there are more "types" of chords to learn (Power chords have a name "power chords" you dont say learn your A5, G5, etc) that arent gonna give me a headache when trying to figure out how to play them

Dono if I just confused some more ppl. But in short.

Bar chords, Power Chords, Open Chords, What else?

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Learn these - they're in the rough order of use in pop tunes:

Major chords
Minor chords
Dominant 7ths
Suspended chords
Major 7ths
Minor 7ths
Diminished chords
Dominant 9ths
Augmented chords

After that you'll be well on your way to having a decent chord vocabulary

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

Try looking up alternate voicings for chords you already know. you can get some really odd and nifty sounds just by trying the same chord a different way. :)

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Alright thanks, dono why my 2nd post got booted down 2 notches though I replied right after Noteboat, but nvm that, no matter.

Thanks ill try that c-shape "barre", and as for

"Major chords
Minor chords
Dominant 7ths
Suspended chords
Major 7ths
Minor 7ths
Diminished chords
Dominant 9ths
Augmented chords"

All in Due time :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

You use my site (link in sig) to come up with different voicings for chords. It shows you every note from a given chord laid out on the fretboard, along with the chord formula. Hope it's of some use...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote