Clear all

Movable Chord Shapes

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm familiar with the E and A Shaped Barre Chords (and can actually play them at this point, which is nice progress for me!). I'm wondering if/what other "movable chord shapes/fingerings" there are that should be learned in addition to the traditional open and barre chord fingerings. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Dave

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

The only other ones I use are variations of those two, the Em barre and the Am barre. Call me simple but hey a G barre seems ridiculous.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A lot of chords are movebale without barres. Some examples:

Cm7b5 [x 3 4 3 4 x]
C9 [x 3 2 3 3 x]
C9#[x 3 2 3 4 x]
Cm9 [x 3 1 3 3 x]
C7 [x 3 2 3 1 x]

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Lots of moveable barre chords shapes....C, A, G, E, D, Em, Am, Dm, Emaj7, Cmaj7, Amaj7, Dmaj7, Em7, Am7, Dm7...and the list goes on and on.....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

A good way to get started with this is to look at the book Fretboard Logic by Bill Edwards. It will walk you not only through A and E shaped barres, but through the C, G, and D shaped barres. That's a good place to begin. If you do a web search using the terms "caged system", you'll find a variety of lessons as well. But the quality varies. Fretboard Logic is an inexpensive book (around $10) that explores the system in depth.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@ak_guitar)
Trusted Member

These videos show a few movable barres:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_barre_chords_pt1.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_barre_chords_pt2.html

In fact the whole "Steal this Video" series on this site is good.

Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:2-4

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Another cool thing is to play the movable barre chords, but without the barre. It gives a really nice open rining sound to the chords. It doesn't work on every fret though...

Try playing 7 9 9 6 0 0 EDIT: whoops, i meant 7 9 9 8 0 0 ............

Or try playing an open C or open E and moving it up the fretboard. Play the open C then move it up 2 frets. Try moving it around to other frets - some of them will sound good, some of them won't!

ReplyQuote
(@dcmarshall)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I've been doing things like moving the "open D chord" shape and other "shapes" up and down the fretboard, and just wondering how to assign a particular chord to it. I suppose once I learn the CAGED system, etc. I'll be able to do just that. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote