Movable power chords

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Are they fun or what? :twisted:
I couldn't stop grinning after learning the intro riff to Ironman. God bless Iommi :D

Now my question is do i play the lower strings of these chords by barring my ring finger or use two separate fingers (ring and pinky?)? Also when i play power chords on the 5th string i mute the low E using my index finger. Is this a bad habit? Should i aim to strike only the required strings? I find muting makes me strum more comfortably.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Just crank up the amp and do whatever you want!

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Either way for both is fine. Normally I use my index and ring finger to do the power chords, some use the index and pinky and some use the index, ring and pinky. Whatever works for you.

As for 5th string powerchords, muting the 6th string is fine and probably a good thing to do, but as you play more your ability to hit only the correct strings will increase so the muting will become unnecessary to some extend.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

It also sounds nice if you add a extra note to the power chord; such as:

|---|
|---|
|-6-|
|-7-|
|-7-|
|-5-|

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

It also sounds nice if you add a extra note to the power chord; such as:

|---|
|---|
|-6-|
|-7-|
|-7-|
|-5-|

Technically, it would then be a major chord.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Fret is right that's just a major chord and I don't think that's what you want to do here if your talking about powerchords.

If you play major chords with distortion you get all kinds of dissonance that doesn't sound good because of the third that's part of the chord.

With a power chord the third is eliminated so all that's left is the root and fifth.

If you are playing your electric guitar clean then you can just use magor chords.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

When I play power chords I mute the three strings that i am not playing and just hit them all. It allows me to make faster strums.

What does the distortion do to cause the dissonance with the third?

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

What does the distortion do to cause the dissonance with the third?

Distortion causes the notes' harmonics to be amplified unevenly, to an extent that they combine to form extra frequencies (sum and difference frequencies). In the case of perfect consonances such as the fifth and octave, the effect is controlled and powerful.
But when imperfectly consonant intervals such as 3rds (which contain dissonant harmonics) are amplified to the point of distortion, those normally harmless dissonant harmonics can make their presence felt, and the effect can be unpredictable, uncontrolled and highly discordant.

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

FWIW when I play power chords, which isn't often I use only the ring and index fingers.
Eric

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks folks :D

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote