Notifications
Clear all

Multiple Instruments - Dangerous?

22 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@nuclearnipple)
Topic starter  

I am having strange thoughts and need the guidance of any experienced multi-instumentalists out there.

So, someone very dear to me found out that I had begun taking guitar lessons and told me they had a surprise for me as they were impressed with my commitment to undertaking something new. I had no idea what to expect and was utterly speechless when I was presented with a very nice mandolin that the person thought "I could use more than them". I tried to refuse, but this person made it very clear that I would offend them if I did not at least agree to "take care of it" for them. I agreed and that was that... or so I thought. While taking a break from practicing chord changes, I decided it would be fun to see if I could make a joyful noise on my newly acquired responsibility. I took the mandolin out of its case, looked up its tuning on the internet, and tuned it up - what happens next scares me: I strummed a few open chords that were listed on the same page as the tuning info, and before I knew it, I had been strumming for more than an hour (grinning from ear to ear the entire time)!

So now to the meat of this post: is it detrimental to attempt learning two instruments at once, becoming a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none sort of thing, or could the exposure to a different format and overall increased instrument play time be beneficial to one's musical development?

"Let's give the boy a lift."
"What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country."
Dr. Gonzo & Raoul Duke

"And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man."
"You mean... beyond pacifism?"
The Dude & Walter Sobchak

(@Anonymous)

I think it depends on two things;

1)How commited you are to each instrument

2)How much time you have to practice

If you really want to learn each instrument, and have the time/patience to do so, then there is no point waiting to "get good" at one before trying the next; that could take forever! Also, you've got the bonus of some skills being interchangble between your instruments as well.

Personally, I've been learning to play guitar, bass, piano/keyboard, flute and harmonica over the last few years, and although my main focus is on guitar, I wouldn't say that trying out other instruments hindered me in any way. In fact some of the piano theory helped a lot! :)

So, to summerise: Go for it!

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@total-13)
Trusted Member

go for it, I play Guitar and sax and used to play piano too but kinda trailed away from it.

and yeah a lot of theory and just general playing can help and can be carried over from instrument to instrument a lot of the time.

Epiphone LP Standard trn blue ltd edition
fender squire strat (heavily modified and re painted with WOA festival logo)
Trace Elliot Super Tramp Valve 100 Combo
digtech RP3.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I think the bottom line is, if you find an instrument you really can't put down, then play it. As far as being a 'master' at one, instead of a jack of all trades; lots of times people never actually master their main instrument anyway, so...might as well play everything you want to play.

Now as far as 'Dangerous': hehe...now when you get GAS, it won't just be for guitars. Now THAT can be dangerous ;)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Since the mando and guitar are very similar it shouldn't be much of a stretch. Itg might be more difficult if you tried say the tuba!

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

I play guitar decently, and I can consistantly make my violin sound like a dying cat.

I don't think that learning two or more instruments is in anyway detrimental. I think that if anything taking up different instruments gives you a different insights into all of them. for example ever try playing guitar with a violin bow? :)

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

by all means play more than one stringed instrument.
I play guitar, pedal steel, lap steel, oud, bass, ...you get the idea.

one instrument transfers to another. the fretboard knopwledge of one helps with the other; even if the tunings are different.

devoting adequate time to each could be chalenging at first, but after some basics are brought under control you will find yourself moving from one to another easily.
in general, my playing has gotten better. perhaps it is because I am playing more.
if I get bored (rare) with guitar I can play another instrument. the excitement and learning doesnt stop.

go fo it. many more hours will go by in a blink if you do. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I play the guitar and mandolin. It seems to have had no ill effect. :D

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Since the mando and guitar are very similar it shouldn't be much of a stretch. Itg might be more difficult if you tried say the tuba!

Different instruments employ different processes. Learning a woodwind or brass would give a sometimes needed break from fretting and strumming all the time. I have been thinking for a long time to take up flute again; just as something different, more portable; and as a break from guitar.

Getting a free mandolin is sweet 8) Apparently, you enjoy the experience of the new instrument. Go for it.

Ghost

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Learning several instruments didn't seem to hurt Mike Oldfield, Dave Edmunds or Roy Wood....I'm getting better at guitar all the time, can jam along to hundreds of songs on bass, and get a tune out of a harmonica and piano - the only thing that frustrates me is not being able to play them all at once!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I don't think there's any issue in learning multiple instruments but it does depend on what you want to get out of it and also how much time you have to devote to learning.

As for being a master or jack-of-all-trades, I personally prefer the latter since I simply do not have the time to become a master and also I just prefer diversity in life. I'm enjoying the journey of guitar, harmonica and trying to tame my voice (it's an instrument of sorts, isn't it? :P).

Now having said that, I don't think you need to be a master to be successful either (if you're planning to make a career of music). Just look at the likes of Bob Dylan. ;)

As someone mentioned above, if you wanna pick it up all the time, then do it. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I am still in the process of learning guitar, bass and mandolin. I tend to give the guitar the most time, then the mandolin, then the bass. I think it's in that order because I want the guitar to be my main instrument and the mandolin my second. The bass gets short shrift because I really don't want to be a bass player, but I want to understand the instrument.

I guess it all just depends on what you want from each instrument. Every person has his/her own ideas of what's right for them and IMHO, you should just go with your gut. If you feel like you would be cheating yourself on your "first" instrument by trying to learn another one at the same time, then you're probably right. Go with your gut!

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@amazing_ness)
Estimable Member

Go for it!

I'm starting meself a progressive rock band and I'm learning to play guitar and keyboards.

I've learned how to play guitar, now I learn how to play keyboards.

I'm steadily improving at both.

And I have not developed any mental ilness or brain damagagagagagagagage yet.

Hey.

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

As far as learning instruments with different tunings goes, I would see it as a definite advantage, as it forces you to stop thinking in terms of shapes, patterns and boxes, and makes you actually think about what notes you are playing and the theory behind them. I mean, as soon as you take your C-major scale away from the guitar it ceases to be "013,023,023,02,013,013" in your mind and genuinely becomes "C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C-etc". Which can only make you a more versatile musician on both instruments.

ReplyQuote
(@nuclearnipple)
Topic starter  

Wow, thank you all for the positive feedback! I shall not delay in schedueling time for both instruments as I am blessed with ample time for practice (live in the woods and after work it's just me and my dogs!). I feel this is the right thing to do as the mandolin just appealed to me on such an intrinsic level that denying it would be more masochistic than disciplined (strange how the two can be so close). Now, as long as my guitar instructor doesn't find out (I think he'll be jealous of the time spent away from his favored medium), everything should be gravy! :D

"Let's give the boy a lift."
"What? No. We can't stop here. This is bat country."
Dr. Gonzo & Raoul Duke

"And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man."
"You mean... beyond pacifism?"
The Dude & Walter Sobchak

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2