Clear all

Mushy Fingers

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sounds disgusting eh? In my case I find if I play more that say 45 minutes the tips of my fingers get soft and wrinkled almost like when your hands are in water for a long time. This makes it difficult to fret notes acurately as big grooves develop in the tips and I start fretting with the flat of the finger more than tip.

I have played acoustic for 2 1/2 years, at least 1/2 hour per day, with light gauge strings, and have some prettty decent calluses. I wipe my fingers and fretboard every few minutes to dry but it does not seem to help.

Has anyone else experienced this?

(@henrik)
Trusted Member

That sounds very strange, I haven't experienced this, is it sweat or what is it?

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It's possible it could be sweat, if you HAVE to wipe your fingers every few minutes. I've had the grooved callouses you speak of, but only if I've been playing for hours. Some people have described a similar thing after playing bottleneck - but with a closed-end bottleneck, where there's nowhere for moisture and condensation to run out.

All I can suggest, without knowing more, is to get a small desk-top fan and point it at your hand, or at least in the general direction. That'll at least keep your hand cool.

On a related subject, I found a great way of getting out of doing the washing-up. "Will you do those few dishes for me?" asks the Mrs...."Sorry, love," I reply, "it'll soften my callouses and I'm playing guitar in a minute - got a new song to do." I usually end up drying, though, and putting away.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

On a related subject, I found a great way of getting out of doing the washing-up. "Will you do those few dishes for me?" asks the Mrs...."Sorry, love," I reply, "it'll soften my callouses and I'm playing guitar in a minute - got a new song to do." I usually end up drying, though, and putting away.

:D :D :D

Vic

Ha Ha...good one!.....wish I could get away with that at my house......well done!

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote