Clear all

Music Thoery????

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@wut_u_c_is_wut_u_get)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

OK, I have been reading some threads just trying to pick tips and such up without having to post myself. BUT i have noticed the mention of Music Theory multiple times stating how important it is and how much it helps. Just one question.......WHAT IN THE WORLD IS MUSIC THEORY?????????????????????????????

Kidd,

"Its not about what showing people what you can do with a peice of wood with strings on it. Its about making music."~~~John Frusciante.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Over the last couple of thousand years or so, musicians have noticed that some things just work better than others, and figured out a set of "rules" to predict what will sound good when you play it. That's music theory. Knowing it will save you lots of trial and error. Especially the error part.
:lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Have you tried any of the many lessons here at Guitar Noise? There's a whole section on music theory...

https://www.guitarnoise.com/theory.php

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@wut_u_c_is_wut_u_get)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks both. Ricochet, u put it so simply that i almost feel dumb for asking. :oops:
dhodge...as in david hodges? Trying to promote your own articles are we now? :D
Just playing, they seem solid, sumthing i would read, and re-read, and refer back to many times.

Kidd,

"Its not about what showing people what you can do with a peice of wood with strings on it. Its about making music."~~~John Frusciante.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I wish it were that simple to learn! :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

hanks both. Ricochet, u put it so simply that i almost feel dumb for asking. :oops:
dhodge...as in david hodges? Trying to promote your own articles are we now? :D
Just playing, they seem solid, sumthing i would read, and re-read, and refer back to many times.

Almost - dhodge as in David Hodge (there's only one of me) and there are more than just my articles! :wink: A whole community's worth, in fact! And thanks for the kind words concerning my articles, by the way.

Seriously, though, I always try to reference lessons here on the Guitar Noise page because, believe it or not, there are many folks who come to the forum but never visit any of the rest of the site, even though they'll find a lot of answers to the questions they ask there.

Conversely, there are also folks who visit the articles and reviews regularly but shy away from the Forum pages. It's a wonderful and strange world out there...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Im really in the same boat. I have been teaching myself without any theoretical grounding. So im going to read those articles now, hopefully get a bit of an insight and a base to build my theoretical knowledge on, and i might be starting professional lessons soon aswell so all is looking good guitarwise for me!

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

First of all sorry for the double post.

I have just read the Theory without tears. I get the basic grasp of it on using scales to form chords and how to figure out any major scale, which i will write down when i get home. The main problem i have is that i can not read sheet music at all, so the music bars on that article are not very sensical to me, i grabbed a basic understanding to it from reading the rest of the article. Hopefully this will all change when i start lessons, but until then is there any GN Lessons that could help?

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote