Clear all

"Must Have" Strum Patterns

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've been around here long enough to know the "old timer" wisdom is that you should not get too hung up on patterns but focus more on feel/groove/rhythm etc.

I have embraced this philosophy , but find myself eventually falling into 1 or 2 recurring patterns I'm most accustomed to.

So, I'm looking for a few "must have" patterns to work on with the hope these will get ingrained into my groove and make me a less predictable player. I promise I will let the feel come through and not get hung up on the pattern.

So, give me say your top few "must have"or so in 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 notes in 3/4 or 4/4 time. Patterns over two measures are fine too.

Thanks.

(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I have found that 1/16 can be modified in so many ways to create different feels and rhythms, I have been working on creating different patterns with 1/16, and to some deal of success.

The way i was taught was to just strum up and down non stop to the 1/16 and just miss the strings when i want to ommit a strum, and then miss different ones each time and you can get some really good moods and rhythms.

Also, changing the feel of any pattern can be achieved by techniques with your fretting hand!

Hope ive helped

David

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@ak_guitar)
Trusted Member

Not sure if these qualify as "must have", but here goes. All are 4/4 16th note counting

1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a
D D D U D U D D D

D D U D U D D D

D D U U

D U D U D D

D D U D D U

D D D U U D D

Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:2-4

ReplyQuote