Clear all

Muted Strings?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jbelton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm still learning my music notations. Do X's on the tabs mean to mute the strings of the chord or to palm mute the chord?

(@denny)
Reputable Member

Depends on the TAB. For chord shapes, the x's represent strings that are not played ie:D=xx0232. In the writing of TAB, 'x' indicates a muted string.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

Depends on the TAB. For chord shapes, the x's represent strings that are not played ie:D=xx0232. In the writing of TAB, 'x' indicates a muted string.

Denny

but of course you can mute say the low E string when playing a C chord by just touching it ...same with all chords

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@jbelton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well the song I'm looking at has in tab ... fourth beat to play chord F (5557) starting with the first 5 on the low e string. Then the next two beats which are the and a - F chord is written XXXX. Hope this makes sense.

_5_ _x_ _x_
_5_ _x_ _x_
_5_ _x_ _x_
_7_ _x_ _x_
___ ___ ___
___ ___ ___

So I guess that means to mute the strings for the F chord???

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Yes, and you can mute the strings by lightly lifting your fingers off the chord.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I think it depends on who wrote the TAB: many of them have a 'key' on the page so check for that.

From what I've seen, an 'x' in a TAB usually means to mute the strings by lifting your fretting hand fingers off the strings but keeping them on the strings (just not pressing them down) and strumming them, creating a 'chunking' sort of noise - this is not the same as palm muting, which uses the strumming hand to mute the strings.

Hope that helped and didnt confues you further!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@jbelton)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks - I thought it did mean mute the strings and I wasn't sure how to accomplish. I will try it out tonight!

ReplyQuote