Clear all

muting strings

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was reading a post yesterday and the person was talking about how he uses one of his fingers to mute the other strings on chords like A or D. well, since I've started learning guitar instead of doing that I have just played the strings you are supposed to, instead of muting the 1 or 2 strings and doing a full strum....

so I was wondering if anyone could explain this whole muting thing to me and if I'm doing it incorrectly?

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

well - perhaps not "the whole muting thing" - but I think I agree with you on open chords like A or D - hit the strings you are supposed to.

But if you are to play something like
3x4433 (Gmaj7)
Then muting the 5th string (with your thumb) would be mandatory (unless you play it 354433)

For what it's worth

LaRS

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@coreyb)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yeah I already figured out that I had to mute the strings in situations like Gmaj7...but I got confused when I read somebody was muting strings where I just skip them alltogether.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

yeah I already figured out that I had to mute the strings in situations like Gmaj7...but I got confused when I read somebody was muting strings where I just skip them alltogether.

Sometimes you have to mute them because they were ringing from a previous chord. This is especially true if you are playing an electric with some distortion. Maybe they were referring to such a situation.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote