9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes it could be true! Magic remedy!

But really.........

Standard procedure for me to buy a set of pics from any company I place an order with for any guitar stuff. I will try any pic out there just to try them.

My pic problem has been that it turns on me. By the time I get to the end of my song, I am playing with the side of the pic, if I make it that far without having to stop and adjust.

Just got a set of Carvin pics. Instantly I noticed they were made different than the tupperware full of other pics I have. They don't come with claims of not slipping but they don't slip! I just played my song (yes, my ONLY song) twice all the way through and I wasn't playing with the side of the pic when I was done.

No magic claimed here. Just passing on my experience with these. :D
Oh, just in case they are not all the same, the ones I got are black, heavy 1.0mm, part number P12H-B ($2.39 a dozen) in case anyone wants to try them out.

Happy Strumming! :)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have never really had much problem with slipping picks but I have found that since I started using Dunlop Tortex picks (they have a texture to them) that my control improved.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I have never really had much problem with slipping picks but I have found that since I started using Dunlop Tortex picks (they have a texture to them) that my control improved.
That's what I use but sometimes even those slip.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

As I wrote in another post, I have extremely dry hands and have always had trouble with picks turning or dropping out of my hand.

It was so bad for me that I gave up picks for a few years and played using my fingernail on my index finger. I still pinched my index with my thumb for support. I have always kept my nails very short (can't stand long nails). My index finger would get very sore (even bled at times). After awhile I developed a nice callous and it was almost like a pick. I usually downstroked, but I could alternate pick with the tip of my finger.

I went back to picks and have pretty much eliminated the slipping problem by keeping my picking hand close to the strings at all times. But I still use my fingers. Many times at the outro of a song I will use my middle finger to speed strum for a big crescendo. I have always been able to move my fingers very quickly like this, quicker than I can strum with a pick. I can play a very balanced strum like this.

I also used small squares of double-sided tape on my picks for awhile. This actually worked very well, but the picks would get very gooey and dirty quickly, Yuck! :roll:

Somehow I got over this slipping problem and have not dropped a pick in a long time. But it was a major problem for me for many years.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

I mostly fingerpick or strum with my index finger (as a pick), basically because I can't really hang on to the pick (even tried a thumb pick for a while). But in the end it just feels better without a pick.

But I will keep an eye out for those Carvin next time I'm in the store.

My problem is that my hands (both of them), sweat a lot. So the picks become very slippery.

Also I think that my body must be on the acidic side, as my strings tend to go very dirty quickly (when I use uncoated strings). It seems like my sweat is actually eating away at the strings. However since using Coated Elixars strings, they have lasted longer than the uncoated Martins or D'Addrio strings.

And yes I do wipe down my strings after playing each time.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Klim

That is funny; you have trouble with picks for the exact opposite reason as me.

I had a friend who like you had very sweaty hands that seemed to be very acidic. His strings would actually turn black in about one week. If you played his guitar your fingertips would get a black residue all over them. He had to change strings about every two weeks.

Strings will last forever for me.

Oh well, what you gonna do? :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member

i'm just a rookie at this,but i will put my middle finger against the edge of the pick seems to work pretty well. also i really like those dunlop picks.

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@aaron-munson)
Eminent Member

I don't have this problem myself, I think I brace it with me little finger, but I did hear a good remedy once. Take a small sharp knife and carefully :!: :!: use it to lightly score the surfaces where you grip the pick. The little curled edges seem to hold onto fingerprints. Just do it carefully :!: I just scraped it lightly back and forth like you would scribble out something with a pen.

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I heard about this stuff called Gorilla Snot that you can put on the pick to make it sticky. Unfortunately there aren't any gorillas where I live, so I just used a lump of Blu-Tack instead. Brilliant. Problem solved. Excellent pick control. Sometimes it accumulates dirt so I change it. Also, it's fun to take the Blu-Tack off and play with it when you get bored. And you can stick the pick to your guitar so it's always there when you want to play.

ReplyQuote