Skip to content
My heads spinning b...

Notifications
Clear all

My heads spinning becuase I dont know where to look! HELP!

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ive decided that I want to learn the electric guitar and I am in love with the sound of the les paul standard. However I cant afford that so I went searching for other guitars that were simular. So far the only thing i found in my price range was an "epiphone les paul 100". It cost about $250us im guessing (310 canadian here).

Is this guitar any good? Will it fall apart? Is that priced lower or higher. Im extremly confused. Can anyone recomend this?

Also for an amp they had a used 10-watt practice amp from some company starting with an M and it cost 35us and a new amp a fender x-brand 15 watt practice amp for 60us.

If anyone could give me some links to good sites to explain anything becuase this choosing a guitar stuff is blowing my mind. All I know is im on a low budget and I want something that sounds like a les paul in some way.

p.s. I heard this played on the 15 watt amp I was looking at and I also heard a ibanez g40. This epiphone sounded alot better than the ibanez but cost 100 bucks more. It was played by a pro sounding guy who's been playin for over 15 years.

Im a complete guitar newb. Feel free to e-mail me useful links for biggining players. thanks!

(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Hi D1NG0,

I think the Epiphone Les Paul 100 is a pretty good guitar to be starting out on. I got one this past December, about $300 US. It has a really nice sound in my opinon. I couldn't afford the Gibson LP either, but I still really like my Epiphone. I don't think it'll fall apart unless you're really wild with it.

Check out the Gibson and Ibanez sites if you haven't and I'm sure someone will be better help with the practice amps here then me. My amp is a Peavey Blazer 158 ($130 US). I started out on a Fender Squire 15-watt practice amp that sounded like crap.

My best advice would be to choose what's best to you and make sure you're going to be happy with it. Also sounds like you've played a lot of different guitars so you know what you're lookin' for.

Good luck!!!

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have to toss this in:

While the price of the guitar is not always a very good measure of quality, (that is some cheap guitars are excellent quality instruments and some expensive guitars are junk) most of the time price roughly coorelates to quality. Do yourself a BIG favor and get the best guitar you can afford.

Not only do more expensive guitars hold their value better in case you don't decide to stick with it, the difference in playability between a junk guitar and a quality instrument can not be over-stated. Having a playable instrument will make it easier to learn and more enjoyable to play.

Lots, (and I mean lots!) of people have walked away from guitar because they couldn't stand how hard they had to work to make it sound like anything when all the time it was a poor instrument at fault.

All that said, Epiphone is owned by Gibson, and has a reputation for being an adequate instrument.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Price goes along with quality, but an even bigger thing that goes along with price. That something is a bigger factor, it being quality control. You're more likley to find a dud in the cheaper range than if you go looking for something more expensive.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@d1ng0)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thats good to hear. I personaly dont know how to play the guitar much besides a few of the major choreds the music guy showed me (non-commisioned and very helpful sales-guy.)

However the epiphone lp100 sounded much b etter than ibanez's $150 and $200 models by far. Ill be purchasing my epiphone lp100 for $235us.

That leaves me with very little cash to buy an amp and other stuff but ill manage. Thanks for the help.

As a side note im under the impression that the lp100 is worth more than what ill be paying for it. Here in canada $235us is actualy $310 and 310 is actualy $406

Im a complete guitar newb. Feel free to e-mail me useful links for biggining players. thanks!

ReplyQuote