My My, Hey Hey Help!

23 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys,

I've finally nailed Neil Young's My My Hey Hey, especially that wicked riff! However, I'd like to complete the song and put the harmonica with it, but don't know what key harmonica he is playing in - does anyone know??

The song starts in Am, and I've only got a 'D' harmonica - could I get away with it? Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thanks Guys! :)

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Hi dylan

Most likely you need a C harp to play in A minor - think: 'all along the watchtower' or 'hurricane' or 'As I went out one morning' (assuming from your nick that you know these songs ;-) )

*Maybe* it is possible to do it with a F harp too???

So with your D harp - you need a capo on second fret - playing the song in B minor.

Good luck
lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Lars - thankyou for the quick help! Hmm, so I could really do with buying a 'C' harp... I often use a capo on second fret (putting the guitar in 'D') hence why I only own a D harp... wasn't sure it would work when playing in Am though... but hey! I think I've learned something! Am + capo on second fret = Bm?? Wow - didn't know that! Every day's a school day! I'll try it. Thanks again! :)

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Good :-)

You can think of the neck as a scale
6th string
Open E
1. fret F
2. Fret F#
3. fret G
4. fret G#
etc.

So if you place a capo on the 4rd fret and play a E chord - it sounds G# (or e minor sounds g# minor)

Same with the other strings obviously

5th string
open A
1. Bb
2. B
3. C
etc.

So playing a A chord with capo on 3rd would be... ?

C is the Harp I use most BTW
Play it 'straight harp' for songs in C - e.g. 'He ain't heavy he's my brother', 'Forever Young', 'Hymn to freedom', 'John Wesley Harding'...
Play it 'cross harp' for G blues
Or for songs in a minor.

Disclaimer - I don't know the neil Young song you mention - It does not *have* to be in a minor even though its starts on a minor - but most likely it is - I will not cover your expenses for a C harp if it does not fit! ;-)

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

LOL! No, there won't be any hangings or blood spilled if you're wrong Lars! All that stuff you said is very interesting mind, and I'm 'trying' to get my head round it - albeit struggling :oops: . I'm trying to figure out if you play a G chord with the capo on 2nd fret - is that an A? Also, what key is it if you play a C chord with the capo on third fret?? Mind boggling (*reaches for Jack Daniels*)....

Also, when I listen closely to the Neil Young song, it sounds like he's sucking it more than blowing it (er...I'm sure that sentence should be 18 rated...), so is he playing 'cross' harp??

Now i'm really confused.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

good :-) one fret is one semi tone (and a chromatic (both the white and the black keys on the piano) scale as we know: C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab, A, A#/Bb, B, C)

open:G
capo first:G#/Ab
capo second:A

likewise:
open: C
capo first:C#/Db
..D
..D# / Eb

re. sucking and blowing and the like

I think the best way to determine which harp is being used is to listen to the bends. There are only some notes that can be bent - and most of them is found playing cross harp. But then again - this is in minor ... :? . ... ... Well, enough theorizing - get that stupid C harp and start playing along!!! You will know by then 8)

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

LOL! Hey Lars, you ain't half clever with all this stuff! Can't thank you enough for all your advice and help - bless u buddy! :)

Ok, I've had a go with my D harp (capo on second fret), and because N.Y is playing without a capo, it's really hard to try and match the notes. I'm gonna buy a C harp first thing tomorrow, take that damn capo off and put N.Y on repeat play and blow my lungs out!!

Watch this space.....and may the lord have mercy on my soul :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Chords/Tabulature for
My My Hey Hey (Out of the Blue)
Submitted by: David M ([email protected])
Notes about this song:

none

Tuning: DGCFAD
Harmonica: Bb

Am7 G Fmaj7/A
My My, hey hey
Am7 G Fmaj7/A
Rock and roll is here to stay
C Em Em7
It's better to burn out
Am F
Than to fade away
Am7 G Fmaj7/A
My My, hey hey

Am7 G Fmaj7/A
It's out of the blue and into the black
Am7 G Fmaj7/A
They give you this but you pay for that
C Em Em7 Am F
And once you're gone you can never come back
Am7 G
When you're out of the blue
Fmaj7/A
And into the black

Am7 G Fmaj7/A
The king is gone but he's not forgotten
Am7 G Fmaj7/A
This is the story of a Johnny Rotten
C Em Em7 Am F
It's better to burn out than it is to rust
Am7 G Fmaj7/A
The king is gone but he's not forgotten

Am7 G Fmaj7/A
Hey Hey, my my
Am7 G Fmaj7/A
Rock and roll can never die
C Em Em7
There's more to the picture
Am F
Than meets the eye
Am7 G Fmaj7/A
Hey Hey, my my

CHORDS: (play standard chords in the lower tuning)
D ---0----3----0-------0----0----0----0----1--
A ---1----0----1-------1----0----3----1----1--
F ---0----0----2-------0----0----0----2----2--
C ---2----0----3-------2----2----2----2----3--
G ---0----2----0-------3----2----2----0----3--
D --------3------------3----0----0---------1--
Am7 G Fmaj7/A C Em Em7 Am F

INTRO: Using a pick alternately pick the notes within the chords
d=down, u=up

d u d u d u d u
D ---0----------------3----------------0-------
A ---1----------------0----------------1-------
F ---0----------------0----------------2-------
C ---2-------------0--0----------------3-------
G ---0----0--2--3-----2----2--0-----0--0-------
D --------------------3----------3-------------
Am7 G Fmaj7/A

d u d u d u d u d
D ---0----------------3-------------------0-------
A ---1----------------0-------------------1-------
F ---0----------------0-------------------2-------
C ---2-------------0--0----2--0-----0-----3-------
G ---0----0--2--3-----2----------3-----0--0-------
D --------------------3---------------------------
Am7 G Fmaj7/A

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Bb? What the F***!!! That's blown it.....

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Yeah, but look at the guitar tuning, it's tuned down by two frets - on a regular-tuned guitar it'll fit with the C harp you were going to buy... (Bb->B->C = two steps) :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is that correct Misanthrope? Two steps? ER.......

So, is he playing in C? This is getting really confusing. And what is that weird tuning>???

I need another Jack Daniels......

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Mis is right -
Think of it as a negative capo - he has simply dropped all the strings two semi tones: one whole step. So: when you play an Am with that tuning it sound one step lower Am-Abm-Gm
Since the guitar sounds g minor he needs a harp to go with that - a harp in so called relative key is a good choice (the relative major scale is a major scale with all the same notes as a minor scale. e.g. C major: C D E F G A B C and A minor: A B C D E F G A, or in this case G minor: G A Bb C D Eb F G --> Bb major Bb C D Eb F G A Bb).
It is not really that complicated - how many JD did that take?`;-)

Soooo, to play along with the record - if that is what you're aiming at - you will need in fact a Bb harp ... ... ... ... or Audacity ;-)

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

OK.... I've had a word with my lawyer as regards the JD intake, and have been instructed to say 'No Comment'!...

Right, I've tuned my guitar the same as Neil's (jesus, we're on first name terms here!), and to be honest, I don't like it! So, for all arguments sake, I'm gonna play this song in standard tuning (it doesn't sound 'that' much different actually), so, can I forget about the Bb harp and just get a C harp and that will do it???

And Lars, I can't thank you enough for your input on this, but I have to remind you that you are abviously far more an advanced musician than I am, and I do have a bit of trouble getting my head round the whole concept of this....please be patient - you're dealing with an idiot here!!!

Sooo, back to the 128 million doller question (that's like the 64 million doller question only twice as bad)... If I play this song on an open, standard tuned guitar, would a C harp fit??

Now, where did I put that JD...???

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

yes

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Right, I've tuned my guitar the same as Neil's (jesus, we're on first name terms here!)
Learning this stuff can put you on first name terms with Jesus, too! :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2