Clear all

My New Girlfriend

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hello all. First some quick info on me- I'm 43 years old. Bought my first (and only) guitar 20+ years ago, (an Ovation acoustic/electric) learned a few chords and started a band. Since I was the only one in the band who could sing, (to some degree) I became the lead singer-front man. Was a gresat time, but I rarely had a chance to play my guitar. Its now some 20 years later and a bunch of stuff has happened in between. (I remember something about getting married, getting a real job, having kids...bla, bla , bla) But then something magical happened. A moment of clarity. About 8 months ago, I saw my guitar case in my garage and decided to have a go at it. I have not been able to put it down since that day.

Which leads me to my new girlfriend. Today, I decided that I've outgrown the old guitar and went into the guitar shop in search of a replacement. One down payment later and I am the "soon to be" owner of a Gibson Les Paul Custom with a matching Marshall amp. Problem is, after playing the Paul in the guitar shop, I came home and can't even look at the old Ovation. Anyways, I'm pretty happy about the new axe and I'm looking forward to learning on it. Question is-- Is this overkill? Is this too much guitar for a guy like me? In my mind, if you are gonna upgrade, go for it. You can't have a LP without a Marshall. As a child of the 60s, it just doesn't sound right any other way.

I do have tons of questions for the experienced guys here in GN. I've read just about every post on the site. Just wanted to share my new found happiness and I'm looking forward to chatting with you all!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Question is-- Is this overkill? Is this too much guitar for a guy like me? I

Yes, absolutely.

Give it to me; I'm younger than you are.

:lol:

P.S. Welcome to GN!

8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Question is-- Is this overkill? Is this too much guitar for a guy like me?

Nope. Sounds about right to me. :wink:

Welcome to GN, Blueline. Good to have you aboard.

Congrats on the new gear and enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing more of you round the forums.

BTW It's customary to post pics of new gear round here. We're kind of shallow like that. :wink:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@jerboa)
Estimable Member

I think it's only overkill if you think it is.

I doubt there's such a thing as "too much guitar". If you can afford it, and you have fun with it...then it's all good. 8)

I'm a big advocate of "late bloomers" getting something nice that they will be happy with for years to come. IMO the cheaper instruments should be for youngsters, and anyone who is dabbling to see if they like it. And the cheapest instruments are for balast. :roll:

There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who think there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who don't

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

That's the beauty of being 43 - you can afford the Les Paul Custom and Marshall. Don't even think about it. Play your guitar and have a blast - that's what it is all about.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

welcome.
two things:
you deserve your new guitar and amp {read...wife and kids and job}
you deserve a better acoustic {read...Ovation eeeuuuu}

l

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Question is-- Is this overkill? Is this too much guitar for a guy like me?

Nope. Sounds about right to me. :wink:

Welcome to GN, Blueline. Good to have you aboard.

Congrats on the new gear and enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing more of you round the forums.

BTW It's customary to post pics of new gear round here. We're kind of shallow like that. :wink:

8)
Thanks Chuckster. Will post new pics as soon as I get the new gear. I promise. I still need to pay off the balance. Should be in two months or so. The sad reality is that the lease on my car is up so the money I have saved is going to other "less important" things in life. (I got the down payment blues) Can't wait to bring her home. It's the exact guitar featured on the cover of Zappa's "Shut up and Play Your Guitar".

Hey Slej..I'll make you a deal...when people are using my name in the same sentence as SRV or Gilmore, I will give you this guitar. Heck , I'll even sign it!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Stevie Ray vaughn, David Gilmore and Blueline all play guitar.

(I would at least get Slej to pay shipping!) :twisted:

Slej, you owe me!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Done!

:D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Is there a spot on the forum where I can insert foot into mouth? lol

Thanks racetruck but somehow, the sentence I envisioned would use adjectives like..."awsome musicians" and "great guitarists". But I think I'll need to know more than 5 chords before that is possible.

Love this site!!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

First Blueline, Welcome to GuitarNoise and really like your avatar. :D

Second, what could possibly be wrong with a Les Paul into a Marshall amp? If you love those Classic Rock tones of the 70s and 80s, it's got to be an LP and Marshall. It is the sound of Rock.

Not putting Fender and others down, I love my Fender guitars and amps. But when I want to play a huge chord that just blows you away, it's got to be a Gibson through a Marshall. It is THE TONE. :twisted:

Now I know I am going to offend all the younger players with their hyper distortion pedals, but if you want to hear what an electric guitar is supposed to really sound like, listen to this video. Turn it a little loud to appreciate this tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYIW5fYQmg8

That is a Les Paul into a Marshall amp. :wink:

You get on stage and hit chords like that and you are gonna knock people down.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Blueline, welcome to GN & congrats on an excellent purchase! 8) IMO you deserve it after going so long without. :wink: Enjoy! :D 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Stevie Ray Vaughn and David Gilmore are awesome guitarists and Blueline can play Five chords with feeling!

There! How's that? Feel better?

Yeah, yeah, I'll shut up now.

BTW, WELCOME!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

First Blueline, Welcome to GuitarNoise and really like your avatar. :D

Yes welcome.

I like the avatar too, but find it a bit disturbing. Kind of like how Kramer from Seinfeld reacted to clowns. :D

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Blueline,

I had a similar doubt some days ago. Finally I bought it.

Welcome to GN! 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2