Clear all

My string keeps snapping !

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

hi, my high E string (thinnest) keeps snapping and i'm on my 4th in a week ! It snaps at the headstock end and i can't see a problem, no sharp edges ect. When i start my guitar practice i always tune my guitar using relative tuning,once i have the high e i find it easy to tune the other strings, but i find it hard to get the high e so i end up loosening and tightening about 5 times everyday. The string always snaps when i loosen it to try and tune it again which is weird.

I thought it could be because of tall the loosening and tightening especially on new strings any ideas ?

Thanx

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

when you say "at the headstock" do you mean at the tuner or at the nut?
if it's at the tuner then you most likely have a sharp edge somewhere. i can't see the nut causeing it to break but i've seen weirder things.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, it sounds like you may have a burr on the nut. I would take a larger wound string, like a D string, maybe .024-.026" and gently pull it back and forth through the high E string slot a few times. Try not to widen or deepen the slot, just clean it. This should remove any small burrs as well. Then you might also try lubricating the slot. I actually use pencil lead, it is a mixture of graphite and oil. If you have a piece of sandpaper, just rub pencil lead on it to create a little graphite dust. Apply this to the slot. Wipe off residue after you put the new string on. The graphite does make a little mess and will make your fingers black. :D

It is probably this dirt, grit, or burr that was causing the first string not to tune properly in the first place. So hopefully, gently cleaning the nut slot will eliminate the string breaking and difficulty with tuning.

Remember, be GENTLE.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

It breaks at the tuner, i already put pencil lead on the nut to help tunning.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Since it's at the tuner, are you sure you are installing the string correctly? There are a lot of sites that explain the how's and why's of installing strings.

I have another idea to try. If you've inspected the openings and don't see any apparent problem you can try a small experiment. Your tuner has two openings. Mark one side and install the string from that side. If the string breaks insert the new string from the other side and see what happens. If it only breaks from the one side then you may have a sharp edge that needs tending to.

If it breaks from either opening then it could be the way the string is wrapped around the tuner. How many times around do you wrap the string? They don't overlap on the windings do they?

Without sounding insulting, are you sure you are wrapping the string around the tuner the correct direction?

I didn't notice what guitar you have or the config of the headstock. If you are winding the string backwards it may be stressing the string in a way not designed by the guitar. (just another thought since we don't have any visual references.)

Hope something stated above helps. :)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I would thinkit's a burr like Wes said. When I bought my first guitar I would break the high e like every week too. Just that one only and it would always break near the bridge. I finally got some fine emery cloth and polished it a wee bit and I never had the problem again.

I've since bought two other guitars and I can't remember the last time I broke a string.

I'm not that hard on my strings though

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jubby)
Trusted Member

make sure you turn the tuners slowly, going fast would help the breaking process tremendously if it isn't just a sharp edge in your tuning head

ReplyQuote