My Wrist Pain Journey - There and Back Again

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi there guys,

I haven't been hanging around here for a while, the last I was here involved my panicked wrist pain adventures. Well, I was doing a lot of fingerpicking patterns and working fingerpicking songs and like a few other folks I imagine I overdid it in my efforts be get better quicker than the old bones and tendons would allow. After laying off for longer than I wanted, wearing those wrist braces cause of course both wrists went to the point where I couldn't even grate cheese since that motion caused pain I gradually got better. I have been able to play again now but I can't act like there is nothing potentially wrong. I have to pay careful attention to how I'm holding the guitar and remember to keep my wrist straight even though of course I would like to twist it over and double check what my fretting hand is doing and what my strumming or fingering hand is doing. And as much as I like bouncing my head against the wall with some of those fingerstyle patterns and E7 chords I have to actually do other things which is good, I'm letting my brain absorb strumming patterns and fewer painful chords, did I mention that I hate that E7? I've slowed it down, kept my eyes open and my brain learning even when my hands and wrists were failing me. Heck, I even found some excellent guitar players online at youtube who slow it down so when I did get to play again I was actually better. So, if you are having some wrist pain, slow down and examine what you are doing and modify yourself a bit. There is light at the end of the tunnel, even that carpel tunnel. :D

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

(@isabelle)
Reputable Member

Hi there

I sort of know where you're coming from with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Fortunately I only got it really bad when I was pregnant (to the point I couldn't hold a glass or lift my arms to get dressed or lo and behold! use a computer keyboard) and it is normally under control.

I started playing in August this year, and a few weeks into it my wrists started playing up again (like you, I've been working mainly on my fingerpicking). It didn't get to the point where I had to give up but I did slow down and worn those splints for a couple of days as soon as it started so it didn't get any worse.

It looks like you've found ways to get back into it without triggering the pain again, so well done. If you're a true beginner, please do contribute to our Beginners Videos's corner on the Hear Here section of the forum. We want to hear those strumming patterns you've been working on :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea what a 'true beginner' is. I know, I know, I look like I should be able to play. It's one of the reasons why I decided to finally start playing since people were always asking me if I played guitar so now, now I can nod sagely and say 'why yes I do play guitar as a matter of fact.' :D I can follow the strumming patterns I get from the youtube guy lazyfret who has tutorials up and who spends a good deal of time working out the strum patterns of songs and variations of those patterns in various levels of complexity. I've found those videos the most helpful for that. Almost where I can do the Wonderwall strum without referencing the video, almost. Back to the wrist pain, I guess the collected wisdom on that is that once you have a bit of it you have to keep an eye on it and be proactive on combating it while still trying to have fun.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote