Skip to content
need a shuffle expl...

Notifications
Clear all

need a shuffle explanation (left hand fingers position)

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all

given the fact that I received a lot of helpful tips to some of my past question (i.e. how to play with fingers only, how to learn power chords etc.), I pose another one :D !
I'd like to have an explanation regarding left hand fingers position when you play shuffle. Let's take it the easiest around the E blues. If I have to play an E chord on the first two strings, as David Hodge lesson explained, I alternate between

E : played open
A : played at 2nd fret

and

E: played open
A: played at 4th fret

I always played the first couple of notes (0,2) with the index finger and the second one (0,4) with ring finger, after having lift the index finger from the strings

The same goes with other similar chords

Watching a tutorial video, it seemed to me that the guitarist never lifted index finger when he played the second couple of notes

That's puzzling me a bit since if I don't move the index, I'll play the second couple of notes like this

E: open
A : 2 and 4

Maybe he did not lift te finger but simply put in on the D string....

Does anyone could explain me this?

Thanks in advance

Matteo

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Hi Matteo!

I'd say that you're probably better off not lifting your index finger. I play with index and ring finger while not moving the index - except when playing barres - probably middle / pinky then. If you're having problems reaching the fourth fret with your ring finger you can probably use your pinky instead - or pratice some stretching - it should be possible unless you have very small hands

but what do I know :-)

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hi Lars

thanks

but (sorry for my english), if I do not lift the index how can I play only the fourth fret and not the second one?

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

If you press down on two different frets on the same string, only the fret further down the fretboard, nearest the bridge will play. Holding your index finger on the second fret, whilst playing the fourth fret is not necessary. It just makes changing between the two, easier and faster.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood your question, but this seems to be what you are asking.

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

Though I learned to do this on mandolin, I suppose it is the same for guitar. Be lazy and practice economy of movement. If you are already fretting a string and need to play another note on that string, closer to the bridge, don't lift the previous finger unless you can't reach the next note. Reach is not much of a problem on mandolin, but will be more often on guitar. Anyway, don't move a finger that is already down until you need to. Not only is it faster, but it keeps the previous note from being cut short by lifting your finger too soon. It sounds smoother.

Melisa

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Do you have a link to the tutorial?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

It sounds like what your after is a 12 bar blues in E, maybe this will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceUI6Fr4wPU

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Matteo

I agree completely with MMDM, do not lift your index finger to play the 4th fret on the A string with the ring finger. Only the note at the 4th will sound. If you are hearing the note at the 2nd fret, you do not yet have good coordination between your picking and fretting hands. Just go slow, your picking speed should match your fretting speed. Hope you know what I mean.

There are lots of extra things you can do with this. For instance, when playing this same riff in A on the 5th and 4th strings, you can barre the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th strings with your index finger. You will still be able to play the shuffle using your ring. But you can also add the A chord itself.

e------------------------------------------------
b------------------------------------------------
g-----------------2-----------------------2------
d--2--2--4--2-----2-----2-----2-—4--2-----2------
a--0--0--0--0--0--------0-----0--0--0--0---------
e------------------------------------------------
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
d u d u d u u u d u d u

Here I am only adding the notes on the D & G strings from the A chord, but you could play the note on the B string as well. This is a very common riff in Blues and Rock especially.

But keep your index finger down and fretting the notes on the D, G, and B string at the 2nd fret all the time on this riff.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi all

thanks that's the explanation I needed!!!!! I did not know that if I play two notes on the same string only the one nearest to the bridge would sound! By the way I tried a couple of times to play the shuffle with the index down and the resulting sound sounded me quite right but, not knowing the "2 notes on the same a string" principle I tought: "it could not be possible, surely it's my ear's fault!

cheers

Matteo

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Good for you! :-)

sorry - appearantly I didn't really understand your question ...

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hi

first of all thanks to everyone, with your suggestions yesterday I played an E-shuffle blues a lot better than before.

A thing struck me: if I have to play the shuffle in another position like a G

e : 3
a: 5

and

e: 3
a: 7

can I leave both the finger and the ring down when I have to play the E note on 5th string?

If the "2 notes on the same string" principle is true, only E note would sound

Thanks

Matteo

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Matteo,

It's correct, you can leave both fingers. Note that when you pick the string, it vibrates from your finger to the bridge and that vibration generates the sound. On depending the length of the free part of the string, it sounds in a note or in another. All the fingers (or "things", ie. the capo) between you last finger and the neck do not disturb. Ok?

Nuno

PD. The same is applicable if you pick the string "above" your finger, so between the neck and the finger. If you put you finger on the 12th fret, the note will be the same "above" and "below", there is the same distance between the two points: neck-finger and finger-bridge.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks Nuno for your enlightning explanation! Now I can understand how it is (of course with a bit of excercise) possible to play shuffle-rock like in Chuck Berry style!

Matteo

ReplyQuote