Clear all

need help!!!!

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@guitargeek214)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I just started playing guitar not too long ago, and this might sound like a stupid question to ask, but how do you figure out what chords to play to specific songs just by listening to them? Any advice?

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

1st thing to try to do would be to try and figure out what key the song is in. Usually the 1st chord you hear. Start with E, A, G, and go from there. It's hit or miss really. Once you figure out the key, you can usually get the other chords pretty easy. Major, minor, 7th, etc. can be a little more difficult. You just have to work on it & train your ear. :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Guitargeek: There are a number of ways, depending on what kind of music you listen to. If you're into pop/rock the easiest way is by listening to the bass. Typically it will play the root, or first note of the chord. Suppose you figure out it's some kind of C, what's next? Start by adding the fifth (G), then figure out whether or not you can play an Eb or E (C-minor and C-major respectively).

Doing this is *incredibly* frustrating if you're just beginning: your ears are simply not used to hear this kind of detail at all. Try doing some excercises:

Chord Ear Trainer: http://musictheory.net/trainers/html/id92_en.html
This will help you hear what type of chord it is. Major, minor, suspended, augmented, sevenths etc.

Interval Ear Trainer: http://musictheory.net/trainers/html/id90_en.html
This will help you to hear melodic jumps in music.

Practice these both 10 minutes a day, starting with just two or three options selected. After a while you'll only have to find the first note, after that you'll hear it's type, and how much higher or lower the next chord is.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

The same way you learn what spices go with certain foods (or each other).

for .00001% (or less) of people it is a natural ability.
For the rest of us, we just have to keep trying until we "get it".

It's a matter of trying things, and loads of practice.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

Go to the berginners songs list and start there with the easiets song, Horse with No Name. You may just have to learn songs you don't like that much in the beginning.

Or you can take guitar lessons from someone.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Speaking for myself. When I started out playing all I had was a book with chords, the radio, and a few albums. Once you've play'ed a certain note or chord long enough you know what it sounds like. No matter how much effects and other studio tricks are used on it. From there I would practice imitating everything I heard. Whatever it maybe, songs, planes, animals you see what I'm what I'm trying to say. Thats how I can hear a song and play right along with it.

For some it comes easier than others. with practice you will be able to also. Mainly it comes down to practice training your ear, mind, and fingers. Add in some positive thought patterns and you'll be on your way to becoming a great musician.

Joe

ReplyQuote