Notifications
Clear all

need help identifying this guitar:

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@dburn2221)
Topic starter  

Hey all, im new to this forum and am about to pick up this guitar here for 150. Just wondering if its worth it or not or if anyone can tell me exactly what model guitar this is. Thanks.

The reason i am having trouble is because i thought squier was an off brand made my fender, but the person i am buying this from says it is a fender stratocaster. Someone help!

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Squier is Fender's budget brand.

Fender strats don't say Squier on them - the pic is a Squier. Looks like a Standard to my eyes - they go new for around $200

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

New $200 price usually includes a budget amp.

$150 is probably about right if it's in good shape and doesn't need a setup.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

It's a decent guitar, despite what alot of people might say. If it stays in tune, and you adjust the pickups a bit, it certainly could be worth it.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@dburn2221)
Topic starter  

alright guys, thanks for the help. I think im gonna pass on this one, Wasnt quite what i thought it was.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Is it not an old one though?
All the ones I have seen have the Squier as the prominent logo, check the back plate for 'made in...' If it's Japan buy it now!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

If you passed on this one thats a decent move. I'd personally have gotten a new one, for the price. Any ideas what kind of guitar you are looking for?

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

WAIT! Dont' turn it down yet!

That looks very much like a 1st-issue Squier "JV" (Japan Vintage.) They were Fender's first attempt at producing a lower-cost (but NOT lower quality) guitar in Japan to head off the competition from Tokai and other clone makers.

If it was made in 1982 and there is a valid serial number, then that may prove to be a steal for US$150. An average condition 1982 JV sold on ebay for $600 last month. One with the later Squier spaghetti logo sold for $325. Just so you know ...

I highly recommend you post this on the Fender forum and you'll get a much better idea as to the "value". They will also help you identify the serial number and other markings. Don't tell them your friend's price though. ;)
http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&message_area_number=26

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

From the serial number, it's a 1990's Mexi Strat - it even says "Made in Mexico" on the headstock

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

From the serial number, it's a 1990's Mexi Strat - it even says "Made in Mexico" on the headstock

An MIM Squier?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

You can read that? Jeez, I may need new glasses ... :oops:

But yes, now that I can make out the "MN" at the beginning of the serial #, it does appear to be Mexican-made.

Okay, never mind. :)

Though I did find this about the brief run of MIM Squiers that have the "big F, small S" logos:
seems to be the same bodies and necks as the MIA of that year and I've run across the same info that you have about that Squire production era being a testbed for the MIM Fender models ... the big F, small S on the headstock adding to that rumor.

So still probably worth at least a buck fifty if that's true.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I can't read the MIM either, but i think greybeard's right, as usual. Squiers were made in Mexico for a few years. A quicjk search will bring up plenty of info :P

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Thats interesting. I never heard of Mexican Squiers, but then again, I never went looking. In a guitar shop the other day, and a guy was planning a pickup swap for his Japanesse Squier. Are the mexi's of the same quality and interst as the MIJ?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The old JV series and Silver Series are slowly becoming collectable (especially in original condition). These are guitars made around 1982-1985/6 and were marked "Made in Japan". The JVs had a serial number, beginning with JV (V for the decade, J for Japan), the Silver series have a headstock transfer (where this guitar has "Squier") with the legend "Silver Series" - I'm not sure whether they all had JV numbers, though.
As an MIM Squier, I'd happily pay 150 for it.
The JVs and Silver Series are regarded as being as good, if not better than MIA Strats.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

go on then, how can you read the MIM and serial?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2