Clear all

need help purchasing first guitar

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 envy
(@envy)
Topic starter  

I need help choosing a guitar to learn on, i have zero experience with guitars and dont really know where to start, my budget is $300 $350 at max, i will be starting off learning nirvana songs first most likely so would like something to get that type of sound-

(@xfiles)

Wouldn't mind an answer to the same actually. Got my self a cheap hand down from a friend and now its time to upgrade to something a bit better.

ReplyQuote
oldstrummer
(@oldstrummer)
Trusted Member

The first question I would ask you is, "acoustic, or electric?" Skipping, for the moment, the acoustic-electric guitars, I'd have to know what you intend to play.

If you choose electric, then you also have to factor in (i.e., budget money) an amp, cord(s), and perhaps an assorted pedal or two. Acoustics are just that: portable, don't require amplification, and great learning tools. But they play different from electrics (usually heavier gauge strings, different neck action, etc.).

By what I've read, possibly the best acoustic you can get for the money these days is the Fender FA-100 Dreadnought with gig bag ($119.99 at Amazon). Amazon's best-seller in the beginner acoustic category is the Fender Squier Acoustic bundle, which includes the guitar, gig bag, clip-on tuner, extra strings, strap, picks, Austin Bazaar instructional DVD, and polishing cloth, for the price of $139.99.

You might be surprised at my suggestion for an electric. take a look at the Pignose PGG-200 Deluxe Electric Guitar with Built-In Amp ($318.45 at Amazon). I have two Pignose amps that have lasted me years, and their products are top-notch. The built-in amplifier means le$$ to spend on an amp. At least at first.

If you want to go more mainstream with an electric, I'd take a look at the Epiphone Les Paul models. Epiphone is Gibson's sister company that makes lower-end guitars. However, many people think their Les Paul models are every bit as good as Gibson's. Again, you can find a bundle (amp, cord, tuner, strap, etc.) on Amazon for a little over $200.

Two things to consider: You get what you pay for. At some point, you're going to want to upgrade to something a little more substantial, whether it's acoustic or electric. So get something that will let you learn and grow for now.

Finally, the acoustic-electric (or electric-acoustic): These are usually hollow body or semi-hollow body guitars that have built-in pickups. To get one in the price range you've mentioned suggests that you'd probably wind up with an instrument that really isn't good as either. I'd wait until I was ready to expand my collection before I bought one. Just my $.02.

Duke Ellington said it best: "If it sounds good, it IS good!"

ReplyQuote
(@factorx)
Eminent Member

As oldstrummer said there is a lot more to think about then just buying a guitar. A good electric guitar and no amp isn't going to do you any good.

I would recommend starting with an acoustic first. It's harder to play but will build strength in your fingers and take all the thinking about amps effects etc out of the way untill your ready.

A good acoustic in that range is used Epiphone masterbilt. It's not plywood. It's a solid wood guitar that has deep lows and rich highs and doesn't cost an arm or a leg. Resale on them stays high. If you find a used one for $300-$350 years from now given you take care of it will still sell for $300-$350

You can very easily buy a new lower end plywood guitar for $200 won't sound as good and have trouble selling for $100 the day after you bought it. Just something to think about.

ReplyQuote
(@gilbertog)

You must make your decision about your first guitar very strategically. Many beginner guitarist make that mistake all the time. They choose random guitars, without first getting some information about it. I would suggest you couple of guitars that I think are perfect for beginners, but that would make my post very long. I've wrote beginner's guide and couple of guitar reviews on my blog,

You can check it out here: http://acousticgo.com/how-to-choose-acoustic-guitar-for-beginners/

I hope you'll find something interesting in my writings, and please tell me what you'll choose later ;)

"What we call 'mastery' can be defined as that mysterious process through which what is at first difficult or even impossible becomes easy and pleasurable through diligent, patient, long-term practice.” ― George Leonard

ReplyQuote